Could use a mentor... (1 Viewer)

whatever2

Local time
Today, 11:15
Hi,
I have a lot of experience with Excel and a little experience with Power BI, but I am almost completely new to Access.
I am having a very hard time achieving simple tasks in Access.
So if anyone can help with this project, it will probably be a cake walk for you.

I am just trying to make a simple form and log for people to create a new request, others to approve/reject said request, and to update and/or close said request when completed.

Problem #1 (I have a long list of these simple problems for you):
I am replacing an existing Excel-based system, so I want the new request system to start at # 1001.
I do not want to use the primary-key auto-number field for this based on recent research that one should never use this as viable data. However, WHY IN THE HELL is it so difficult to create a simple column that can look at the last record and just ADD 1??? WTF.

I have tried several different solutions and keep getting errors I cannot explain, like syntax, type mismatch, can't use that function in a calculated field, etc, etc. How can something so simple and common be this difficult?

Please help. I've tried queries, calculated fields, VBA code, Dmax, DLast, COUNTER, all sorts of things and can't figure out how to get any of it to work.

If we can get past this, I've got a hundred more things that should be simple but I cannot figure out. Microsoft's help articles are total shit. Yeah, thanks for telling me what to do but not how to do it. o_O

Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

If you're looking for someone to hire, please send me an email to discuss details. Cheers!

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 13:15
However, WHY IN THE HELL is it so difficult to create a simple column that can look at the last record and just ADD 1??? WTF.

when you go to a new record in your form, try this in code:
Code:
me.yourNumberFieldControlName = DMax("yourNumberField","youTableName") + 1
you have to be careful of this though, as I believe that function is quirky, like if there are 2 digits in the number, it reads the first digit only. something like that. you'd have to test to be sure.

whatever2

Local time
Nope, just looking for someone who likes to help others solve problems without the need for financial compensation. One of those Karma things, I suppose. I help others all the time just because it feels good, it's just in some of our nature.

But if you need a job, you could always try standing outside a Home Depot! ;)

whatever2

Local time
Code:
you have to be careful of this though, as I believe that function is quirky, like if there are 2 digits in the number, it reads the first digit only. something like that. you'd have to test to be sure.

I appreciate the reply, but I'm really new to Access and I have no idea what you are talking about. Why would I do anything with the form?
You say "try this in code". Can you please explain? Access is so different from Excel and Power BI that I don't know where I would even put that code. In a query? In a VBA module? In a field?

whatever2

Local time
that's pretty insulting dude. I've been warned myself. be careful about this!

If you aren't posting to help, don't post. Keep your snarky comments to yourself and I'll do the same. Cool?

whatever2

Local time
I can already tell this isn't a very helpful community so I'll just take my questions elsewhere.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 18:15
Code:

The code is correct but a simple test will show you that your final paragraph is untrue.

EDIT:
@whatever2
Feel free to go elsewhere. You haven't made a positive start on this forum. If you respond with another unnecessary insult, we'll help you on your way. Good luck

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
check this out...

Attachments

• Database1.zip
    36.1 KB · Views: 114

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Sorry, read your initial post, submitted a solution, then read your other posts and removed it.

Last edited:

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
if this person indeed does not comeback, it would make me feel good cuz he wouldn't have lasted nearly as long as I did in my former tenure.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
The last post by the OP has been deleted following a complaint about language and attitude.

For info, the OP has been banned for a fixed term following the hostile attitude shown and for insulting other members. Following that period, any further similar behaviour will result in a permanent ban

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:15
WHY IN THE HELL is it so difficult to create a simple column that can look at the last record and just ADD 1??? WTF.
It is not hard at all. You just have to take off your Excel cap and put on your RDBMS cap. Relational databases work nothing like spreadsheets. For starters, in a spreadsheet, every single column of every single row has a discrete "address". In a relational table, you address a row by its primary key value and columns by their name.
I can already tell this isn't a very helpful community so I'll just take my questions elsewhere.
Attitude like that will get you no help at all. If you decide to come back, we can suggest some videos and books to explain the basics.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Waste of breath Pat,

He did come back and was paticularly rude, hence the temp ban.

FWIW I think the post could have been left in (despite the language) and then everyone would see the true character of this person.?

These people seem to be like buses. You do not get one for ages, and then three come along at the same time. :D

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
The moral of this story is, don't rant in the general discussion area. Or no ranting while being a newbie.

But if you get an alternate IP, all may be forgiven shh! ;)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
But if you get an alternate IP, all may be forgiven shh! ;)
this makes me wonder...can the administrator and mods here detect if u r using an onion router, like the Tor browser? Google has technology already that detects it.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Re: Onion/TOR
There are some secrets we like to keep to ourselves!

And in response to AB's point, there are ways of detecting when someone changes their IP to get around a ban.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 14:15
Col...that signature of yours....

Tongue in cheek or do you consider it a viable quote?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom