Countries Table - Design Thoughts (1 Viewer)

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 20:42
Hi All,

I'm undecided about this so thought I'd ask the great and the good, bad and the ugly...

I need to have a reference table for countries (and various other fields) and am wondering do I add a primary key ID and use that or store the ISO country number?
Previously I have only ever need a country name so simply had that in a look-up table without a PK.
In this case, I need to retrieve different info from the table on a very frequent basis for currency info etc.

Sample below.

Country_name
alpha-2
alpha-3country-codeiso_3166-2
region

sub-region

intermediate-region

region-code

sub-region-code

intermediate-region-code

CurrencyName

CurrencyShortCode

ISO_CurrencyCode
AfghanistanAFAFG4ISO 3166-2:AFAsiaSouthern Asia14234AfghaniAFN971
Åland IslandsAXALA248ISO 3166-2:AXEuropeNorthern Europe150154EuroEUR978
AlbaniaALALB8ISO 3166-2:ALEuropeSouthern Europe15039LekALL008
AlgeriaDZDZA12ISO 3166-2:DZAfricaNorthern Africa215Algerian DinarDZD012
American SamoaASASM16ISO 3166-2:ASOceaniaPolynesia961US DollarUSD840

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:42
better add the id, the countries are static, unless a great eruption occurs and create one.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 15:42
Is your question about using Autonumber or use the natural key ISO 3166-2.

I almost always use the autonumber. Because often when I do not, I get proved wrong. Some reasons

1. You always think when entering data you will have the natural key, except when you do not. So someone I as working with said they always had unique, non changing, employee ids. So I told them that is a good key. Then they got back to me and wanted to know what to do for a couple new employees that the corporate office had not yet assigned IDs and wanted to get their information added. Then when they finally got the IDs some where bad/duplicates. So they ended up not being able to enter the employee info for a several days.
2. I also get nervous when I see a natural keys with lots of characters Never know what is going to cause problems for joins and searches.
ISO 3166-2:AX's #2

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
@MajP The International country code (column 4) is allegedly fixed, unchanging forever, ISO agreed with standard.

So based on that statement and your own experience and my own - I'm going to add a PK ID :rolleyes: 😁

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Like I said, I always get fooled. Every time I think it is Unique, Available, Non Changing, and Simple (not super long and lots of weird characters), I get proved wrong.
So yes it looks like a perfect candidate for a natural key and you probably be safe. But there is always that 1% chance. and you really are not losing anything with an autonumber.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
A redundant, thumbs-up on using your own primary key, not the the international country code.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I would opt for an autonumber also. I have seen changes to Canadian provinces and territories, as well as changes to ISO codes. Not too frequent, but....

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 12:42
Agree, natural keys are accidents waiting to happen, you gain absolutely nothing from taking the risk, and add the burden of trying to defend or explain people's expectations as to its meaning

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Let me jump on this train in case there aren't enough comments. Use your own autonumber PK within your database. Make a unique index on the ISO country code. NEVER trust anyone else's "unique" PK. They'll change it if they find a reason to and it doesn't matter that the change messes up your structure. As long as their "PK" is stored as a text string in your database, they can't hurt you. I keep waiting for the SSA to announce that SSN will at some point be alpha because they've run out of of unique values using only numbers. I've never created a table that stores SSN as a number but I have seen others do it.

You might want to normalize the table also. Currency belongs in its own table as does subregion.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
@Pat Hartman - Thanks for the reply, I have added the index and my own PK.
The currencies are mainly for reference at this point and will be separated off in the final design, as will the regions. I have subsequently discovered the regions don't match the customers' descriptions or areas so much easier to adjust the child region tables.

The currencies are also complicated by the customers' final use - they use a local currency for input but the payout is either £ $ or Euro depending on the region that is doing the administration. I love multi-currency systems 🤦‍♂️

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I suspect an ISO country code will be permanent enough. If a country changes, and they issue a new code, you would need a new record anyway.

I would have thought this was directly comparable to US states, say, and I doubt many developers add a numeric autonumber to a US states table - but maybe they do?

You can never go wrong by having your own ID code for a country though. It may add a layer of confusion to anyone inspecting a table and not seeing expected abbreviations, but it won't affect the way the dbs works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom