Creating a website (1 Viewer)

Hoffman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:51
Hi all,

I'm looking to create my own website. Nothing fancy and not for business, just somewhere to share my photos as I've recently taken up photography. Any advice for where or how might be best to do this? Other than social media :)

Thanks in advance
:)

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:51
find a website provider who has a template close to what you want - I'm not recommending them, but check out sites like godaddy or webpress.

Also google 'web templates' or similar

Anakardian

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:51
Google has a free website service you can use.
I am sure there are other places that have a similar service you can use.

If you have your own webiste, there is a chance that your hosting company will have a webiste template you can use. Some of them have a one-click setup.
Otherwise you can use something like wordpress to get a pretty good start.

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
If you build your own website then you will be investing quite a bit of time in the site development. You will also have to think about how to present your pictures. If you are new to website design then your content will be static meaning you will have to design the website each time you add more content. There are tools to overcome this of course but if your main goal is sharing your pictures, you may find this route a bit tedious. You want to focus on publishing images not spending too much time with the mechanics.

Anakardian mentioned Wordpress which has a gallery tool for handling all your images and making it easy to display in blogs or as a gallery. Note that Wordpress comes in two formats. One is hosted by yourself (or a 3rd party hosting service). The other is hosted online at wordpress.com. Both are free and setup it pretty quick and easy.

Also consider image websites such as Flickr which obviously specializes in publishing images on the web. The emphasis is on ease of publishing and presentation. As an aside, my company (and I guess many others) often trawl such websites to find images to use in our marketing materials. Such sites will handle the copyright and payments for usage of images for you. They do differ from site to site if that is important to you.

Hoffman

Registered User.
Local time
Wow, thanks everyone for the replies!
@Stopher - "You want to focus on publishing images not spending too much time with the mechanics" - exactly!!

So following you guys' advice, I think WordPress is probably the way to go. I've been doing a bit more research (I really am a terrible amateur with this stuff!) and by the sounds of it, it should be pretty straightforward. However, there's one thing I'm a tad confused about. One guide I was reading talks about wordpress.org and wordpress.com, and apparently wordpress.com is better for beginners - what exactly is the difference then, and how do I make sure I sign up with wordpress.com as opposed to .org? Sorry if this is a really silly question, like I said I am a novice in this department.
Anyway, thanks again (and in advance) for your help.

Last edited:

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
Wow, thanks everyone for the replies!
@Stopher - "You want to focus on publishing images not spending too much time with the mechanics" - exactly!!

So following you guys' advice, I think WordPress is probably the way to go. I've been doing a bit more research (I really am a terrible amateur with this stuff!) and by the sounds of it, it should be pretty straightforward. However, there's one thing I'm a tad confused about. One guide I was reading talks about wordpress.org and wordpress.com, and apparently wordpress.com is better for beginners - what exactly is the difference then, and how do I make sure I sign up with wordpress.com as opposed to .org? Sorry if this is a really silly question, like I said I am a novice in this department.
Anyway, thanks again (and in advance) for your help.
Just go to www.wordpress.com and click on the "create blog" option. I have not done it for a while but it will hold you hand from there. Don't worry too much when choosing from the various themes and options - as I remember you can tailor everything later.

I look forward to seeing your site listed here within the hour :)

Hoffman

Registered User.
Local time
Great, thanks!
Haha, I admire your confidence in me...

tomjackman351

Local time
I suggest you to search good wordpress themes for your website from themeforest. There are such themes available there which specially designed for photographers.

SimplySarah

Registered User.
Local time
Agreed that WordPress is a good option. It's incredibly easy to use and has good themes for what you want to use it for. But if you want to play with design yourself instead of going with a pre-designed theme, there are ways that you can build a photo gallery yourself on your website. This article actually explains Lightbox galleries really well, including how to embed it in CSS, JavaSript and HTML. It even discusses image gallery plugins for WordPress, if you are going that route, and image gallery plugins for Joomla and TYPO3 as well. Essentially almost anything you might want to know about creating a website with an image gallery.

Hope that is helpful!

Last edited:

robert_mann

Registered User.
Local time
If you want to learn basic web design go for Blogger otherwise go for WordPress. You will find everything there.

Albert Dicosta

Registered User.
Local time
For sharing pictures try wordpress website and you can easily create site on this platform. But use content also. Content is search engine friendly.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 21:51
ah.. sir.. dont wake the dead (post).
you never know what might manifest.

lpapad

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:51
Check Wix.com, I think it is easier than wordpress.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
You can use WordPress and Wix.com
Hi. Do you realize you're replying to a 2-yr old post? In fact, do you realize you have been replying to other several old posts? If not, just letting you know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom