Cross Posting (1 Viewer)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 06:17
@Jon
Jon, Do you think it would be beneficial to add a small paragraph to your welcome message to advise new members of the etiquette of cross posting.?

I prefer teaching rather than handing the solution over on a plate :) and it would help those who profess to not know about cross posting.?

I don't expect you to link to that well known site that is used time and time again, due to its excellent description of cross posting etiquette. :)

Something along the lines of below and perhaps highlighted in italics or similar, so it stands out a little.?

Cross posting. (Posting the same question to other sites)
Cross posting is not forbidden, but it is considered a common courtesy to advise other sites that you have posted the question elsewhere, with a link to that thread.
This is so the same advice is not repeated, and contributors can see what has already been offered. After all they give their time freely and it should not be wasted duplicating advice.

Of course, there is no guarantee they will read it, but at least we tried to educate. :)

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
If it could also be a sticky somewhere we could link to it on this site rather than sending everyone off to the Excel Guru's admittedly excellent article by Ken Puls. Or put a link to that in the sticky for "further reading"?

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Yes. I agree. That's a great suggestion.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
How often do you see cross-posting going on?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Ok, I have super-dupered everything. Firstly, my auto-replies were a bit ugly. So I have pruned them down and provided a link to a post to read instead. You will see the differences soon. Secondly, I have added cross-posting details to the post. Thirdly, I've reorganised, pruned and edited the content in the post. It now has clear headings so people in a hurry can skip to the bit that interests them, rather than skipping the entire wall of text. Fourthly, it is a sticky so you can link to it yourself, should cross-posting occur outside of the suggested etiquette.

The sticky post is found here: https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-member-read-me-first.223250/

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Just my thoughts @Jon, but I'd would say 'please do the following'?
Also can there be anchors on that page, so that one can link directly to that topic.?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I've edited to say 'please do the following.' There is no anchor facility, so you will just have to refer to the post and let them find it. There are headings so its not a biggie.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:17
Yeah, @moke123, but at least you are experienced enough to make the warning. (I read the post where you did that.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom