Currency re-vamp (2 Viewers)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:38
Rich, they CAN be publicly funded - but only when they reach a certain minimum size. I forget the exact number, something greater than 1% surely, and might be more like 5% of the registered electorate. But with the two major parties already where they are, you can bet that they won't be giving away money to their competitors.

It is a sad case where de facto rather than de jure, the fox is running the hen house.

Adeptus

What's this button do?
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:08
The_Doc_Man said:
Both times, the democrats offered someone whose credibility was sorely lacking, at least to our ability to determine such.
[snip]
I doubt it will happen, but I sincerely hope that the Democrats come up with a truly viable candidate next time around.
Similar situation in Australia... the Liberals are in their 3rd term, because Labor (the other "major" party) can't find a popular leader, and can't decide what their policies are...

The_Doc_Man said:
The American system is still one of the better ones in terms of the freedom it gives its people,
Such as the freedom to not vote? :D
There's been a debate on compulsory voting in one of the other forums I'm on... most Americans don't like the idea, most people from countries where it is compulsory do. (if you really don't want to vote, you can just leave your ballot blank, or write "you're ALL bastards" on it or something...)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:38
Personally, I like the idea once proposed by National Lampoon magazine.

All ballots should have a candidate box that represents "none of the above" - meaning I don't want to vote for ANY of the slime-sucking scum buckets on the roster. Then, if "none of the above" gets a plurality, the department that person runs must coast on momentum AND all of the candidates who were on that ballot would be barred from running in the next election for same.

Let's face it, many departments have an assistant to the elected officials. In a bureaucracy, the staff can go ahead with whatever they are doing. All it means in practise is "no new policies, no revocation of old policies."

But then again, nobody currently in power would vote for such a thing. On the other hand, if you want to see a really high voter turnout, add "None of the above" to the ballot and see what happens.

;)

ahilbg

Local time
Tomorrow, 01:38
Hello form Bulgaria!

Hello form Bulgaria!
Hope i will find new friends here and many interesting things!
Actually i am very hungry now and i will go to prepare rice with chicken meat
But to have money for food i need to sell a Factory:))
For more information:
http://www.buyproperty-bg.com
Anyway i am still hungry? Who wanna join me?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:38
I love the "none of the above" bit Doc Man. We still have that on our ballots here, and in the recent primary there were several races where it polled above the second or third place candidate. I think I saw it as high as 25% of the vote in some races. I don't know what would happen if it "won", but I think the idea you posted would be perfect.

bwrobel

Corporate Buttkisser :P
Local time
Today, 11:38
Ahilbg,

Don't make go to Bulgaria and kick that chicken out of your mouth.

Go sell Crazy somewhere else... We are all stocked up here! (Jack Nicholson)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom