Current fiscal year projection (1 Viewer)

R

Rich

I use the following to group by fiscal year without any problem but I need to get the difference in weeks between Date and the start of the current financial year
FYear: Year([TrDate])-IIf([TrDate]<DateSerial(Year([TrDate]),5,1),1,0)
Any ideas?

Alexandre

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:02
I am not sure I understand where your problem lies, Rich. Not in getting the difference in weeks between two days? [datediff("ww",Date1,Date2)]

R

Rich

Alex, are my posts indicating the approaching onslaught of senility:(
I guess I should have explained, I need a dynamic calculation.
I use a totals query to produce the output for a yearly graph grouped on my financial years, I have no problem with that, except that because my current financial year is only approx 12 weeks old the graph doesn't give an accurate reflection of the current years trading. I need to do some simple multiplication on the current years figures to get a projection on the graph.
I figure that if I can get the current week number of My financial year I will be able to do this.
The DatePart function appears to be able to do this, except that I can't figure out how to get it to recognise the 1st of May as the start of the year and not the 1st of January.
Any ideas?

Alexandre

Registered User.
Local time
What is the definitiion of the weeks you need to count for your projection: complete calendar weeks starting on Monday (they can be 51 or 52), just periods of 7 days (they are 52 + 1 or 2 days in a year), other?

Last edited:
R

Rich

Thanks Alex, I think this gives me what I need
FisWeek: DatePart("ww",Date())-DatePart("ww",#01/05#)
but I need to test it on my old notebook by changing the sysDate first, the actual number of weeks isn't critical, it's only for visual benefit, 1 week either way will not make much difference.
The only problem I have is that the help file says that by enclosing the Date literal without the year part in double quotes Access will automatically change the year, but I keep getting errors wherever I put the quotes.

Alexandre

Registered User.
Local time
Beware with the US date format in your formula.
You could create a public function to easily get the fiscal year at anytime:

Public Function FinancialYear (dDate as Date) as Integer
FinancialYear = Year(dDate)-IIf(dDate <DateSerial(Year(dDate),5,1),1,0)
End Function

Then, if you don't need much precision:

((Date() - DateSerial(FinancialYear (Date()),5,1))\ 7
or
DateDiff("ww", DateSerial(FinancialYear (Date()),5,1) , Date())

Last edited:
R

Rich

Thanks again Alex, sometimes it's just not possible to see the Wood for the Trees:)
I don't have any problems with dates thanks;)

raskew

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:02
And since there are numerous variations on the FY start month, it could be made a little more generic by allowing the user to specify the FY start month, rather than a hard-wired '5' for May, e.g.

Public Function FinancialYear(dDate As Date, FYStartMon As Integer) As Integer

FinancialYear = Year(dDate) - IIf(dDate < DateSerial(Year(dDate), FYStartMon, 1), 1, 0)

End Function

…to test
? FinancialYear(#03/01/01#, 6)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom