Customer Contact Notes (1 Viewer)

W

willuk_2k

Hi,

At the moment the customer contact database I use has been built by myself in Access 2003. What I would like to do is extend this so that I and my staff are able to post customer contact notes in a defined field. For example when we recieve a call from a customer it can be logged on their record and the staff members name and the time of the day the call was logged will be entered also.

Does anyone have any ideas on creating something like this or can anyone point me in the right direction.

Many Thanx

trucktime

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:19
Contact Notes

Looks you need another table that will hold the notes and link it to the contact table. Create a one-to-many relationship, meaning one contact can have many related records in the notes table.

You can ad all kinds of features, like priority or importance of the note, popup reminders, automatically delete notes after a certain period of time.
And it's easy to timestamp the note by adding a date field with a default value.

When you put a subform for the notes on your main form for the contacts you have an overview of all the notes for that contact. In that case it would probably also be good to ad sort functions, so you can sort the notes A-Z or Z-A on subject, date, etc.

Hope this helps, and Merry Christmas

sudhirhinduja

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:19
Looks you need another table that will hold the notes and link it to the contact table. Create a one-to-many relationship, meaning one contact can have many related records in the notes table.

You can ad all kinds of features, like priority or importance of the note, popup reminders, automatically delete notes after a certain period of time.
And it's easy to timestamp the note by adding a date field with a default value.

When you put a subform for the notes on your main form for the contacts you have an overview of all the notes for that contact. In that case it would probably also be good to ad sort functions, so you can sort the notes A-Z or Z-A on subject, date, etc.

Hope this helps, and Merry Christmas

Could you assist. This notes feature is working mine if I add a nerw customer.But if I try to type a previos customerID it says cannot create duplicates.
Thanks,
Sudhir.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 08:19
For one, you shouldn't need to TYPE a customer ID. You should be able to select them from a list. Next, your notes table isn't set up properly then as it is set so that the customerID is probably the primary key and as such it can't be added again. Post a screen shot of your relationships so we can possibly tell you more about how to fix it.

sudhirhinduja

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Bob,
Here's a snapshot of the relationships. It workd fine if I enter a new customer but say if I enter the customerID again. Example 01-hindsud it shows me the contact notes but doesnt let me add any more notes compalining about the duplication of the keys.
Sudhir.

Attachments

• Tracking.doc
    85 KB · Views: 101

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 08:19
You seem to have a composite key (CallID and CustomerID), which is causing you problems. Make CallID the ONLY key in the tblCalls table.

sudhirhinduja

Registered User.
Local time
You seem to have a composite key (CallID and CustomerID), which is causing you problems. Make CallID the ONLY key in the tblCalls table.

Thanks Bob,
I did that as well as I changed the record source of the frmCustomers to pick up data from the query. It was picking up data from the Customer table so obviously it needed a unique customer ID. Silly me!
Thanks again :)
Sudhir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom