Solved Data Type Mismatch in Criteria Expression (1 Viewer)

pbuethe

Returning User
Local time
Yesterday, 20:58
My source table is tbl011_Level1_8. CaseNbr, ReviewLevel, ReviewerID, ReviewDate are all of type Text. Column is type Number. There is no primary key.

My destination table is tblRevResults. CaseNbr, ReviewLevel, and Reviewer are of type Text. ReviewDate is of type Date/Time. These four fields together are the PK.

I made the query qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate based on the source table, to turn the ReviewDate into a date type by using CDate, i.e. RevDate: CDate([tbl011_Level1_8].[ReviewDate]) .I thought I would be able to link on all four fields that way.

My append query, which gives me “data type mismatch in criteria expression” error, is:

Code:
INSERT INTO tblRevResults ( CaseNbr, ReviewLevel, ReviewType, Reviewer, ReviewDate, ADM, LOS, DRG, DISCH, NYPORTS, QUAL, DOC, ALC, TRAN, MORT, [COMP], SAE, COSTO, UpdateDate, [User] )

SELECT qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate.CaseNbr, qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate.ReviewLevel, qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate.ReviewType, qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate.ReviewerID, qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate.RevDate, IIf(Len([Admission])=1,[Admission],IIf([Admission] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([Admission],1))) AS ADM, IIf(Len([LengStay])=1,[LengStay],IIf([LengStay] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([LengStay],1))) AS LOS, IIf(Len([DRGRev])=1,[DRGRev],IIf([DRGRev] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([DRGRev],1))) AS DRG, IIf(Len([Discharge])=1,[Discharge],IIf([Discharge] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([Discharge],1))) AS DISCH, IIf(Len([qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate].[NYPORTS])=1,[qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate].[NYPORTS],IIf([qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate].[NYPORTS] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate].[NYPORTS],1))) AS NYP, IIf(Len([Quality])=1,[Quality],IIf([Quality] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([Quality],1))) AS QUAL, IIf(Len([Documentation])=1,[Documentation],IIf([Documentation] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([Documentation],1))) AS DOC, IIf(Len([qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate].[ALC])=1,[qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate].[ALC],IIf([qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate].[ALC] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate].[ALC],1))) AS ALCRev, IIf(Len([Transfer])=1,[Transfer],IIf([Transfer] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([Transfer],1))) AS TRAN, IIf(Len([Mortality])=1,[Mortality],IIf([Mortality] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([Mortality],1))) AS MORT, IIf(Len([Complication])=1,[Complication],IIf([Complication] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([Complication],1))) AS [COMP], IIf(Len([SAEReview])=1,[SAEReview],IIf([SAEReview] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([SAEReview],1))) AS SAE, IIf(Len([CostOutlier])=1,[CostOutlier],IIf([CostOutlier] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([CostOutlier],1))) AS COSTO, Date() AS UpdateDate, CurrentUser() AS [User]

FROM qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate LEFT JOIN tblRevResults ON (qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate.RevDate = tblRevResults.ReviewDate) AND (qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate.ReviewerID = tblRevResults.Reviewer) AND (qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate.ReviewLevel = tblRevResults.ReviewLevel) AND (qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate.CaseNbr = tblRevResults.CaseNbr)

WHERE (((qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate.CaseNbr) Is Not Null) AND ((qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate.ReviewLevel) Is Not Null) AND ((qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate.ReviewerID) Is Not Null) AND ((qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate.RevDate) Is Not Null) AND ((qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate.Column)>1) AND ((tblRevResults.CaseNbr)="" Or (tblRevResults.CaseNbr) Is Null) AND ((tblRevResults.ReviewLevel)="" Or (tblRevResults.ReviewLevel) Is Null) AND ((tblRevResults.Reviewer)="" Or (tblRevResults.Reviewer) Is Null) AND ((tblRevResults.ReviewDate) Is Null)); ((tblRevResults.Reviewer)="" Or (tblRevResults.Reviewer) Is Null) AND ((tblRevResults.ReviewDate) Is Null));

Thanks for your help.

Ranman256

Local time
you cant join a string field to a number field. (even tho they are the same value).
you CAN build an intermediate query ,Q1, to convert the field:
select Cstr(field1) as MyString, CInt(field2) as MyNum from table

THEN use Q1 to join to the other table now that the field types match.

pbuethe

Returning User
Local time
I am not joining a string field to a number field. I only mentioned the number field since I am using it in criteria. My query qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate is to convert the ReviewDate in tbl011_Level1_8 (text) to RevDate (Date) so I can link it to ReviewDate (Date) in tblRevResults.
Code:
qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate:
SELECT tbl011_Level1_8.MaxOfID, tbl011_Level1_8.CaseNbr, tbl011_Level1_8.Column, tbl011_Level1_8.ReviewLevel, tbl011_Level1_8.ReviewType, tbl011_Level1_8.ReviewerID, CDate([tbl011_Level1_8].[ReviewDate]) AS RevDate, tbl011_Level1_8.StartTime1, tbl011_Level1_8.StopTime1, tbl011_Level1_8.StartTime2, tbl011_Level1_8.StopTime2, tbl011_Level1_8.Admission, tbl011_Level1_8.LengStay, tbl011_Level1_8.DRGRev, tbl011_Level1_8.Discharge, tbl011_Level1_8.NYPORTS, tbl011_Level1_8.Quality, tbl011_Level1_8.Documentation, tbl011_Level1_8.ALC, tbl011_Level1_8.Transfer, tbl011_Level1_8.Mortality, tbl011_Level1_8.Complication, tbl011_Level1_8.SAEReview, tbl011_Level1_8.CostOutlier, tbl011_Level1_8.Specialty1, tbl011_Level1_8.Specialty2, tbl011_Level1_8.Specialty3, tbl011_Level1_8.Specialty4
FROM tbl011_Level1_8;

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 01:58
Would you not need the CDate() function then?

You appear to just be trying to put a text value into a date field, if I understand you correctly?

pbuethe

Returning User
Local time
Right. So I am using CDate(). So why wouldn't this work? Or is something wrong with the criteria?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Right. So I am using CDate(). So why wouldn't this work? Or is something wrong with the criteria?
Really?, where?

Code:
qrytbl011_Level1_8_CDate.RevDate

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
PHP:
INSERT INTO tblrevresults
            (
                        casenbr,
                        reviewlevel,
                        reviewtype,
                        reviewer,
                        reviewdate,
                        adm,
                        los,
                        drg,
                        disch,
                        nyports,
                        qual,
                        doc,
                        alc,
                        tran,
                        mort,
                        [comp],
                        sae,
                        costo,
                        updatedate,
                        [user]
            )
SELECT    qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate.casenbr,
          qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate.reviewlevel,
          qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate.reviewtype,
          qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate.reviewerid,
          qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate.revdate,
          Iif(
                    Len([admission])=1,[admission],
                    Iif(
                              [admission] IN ("reversed",
                                              "rv"),"rv",LEFT([admission],1))) AS ADM,
          Iif(
                    Len([lengstay])=1,[lengstay],
                    Iif(
                              [lengstay] IN ("reversed",
                                             "rv"),"rv",LEFT([lengstay],1))) AS LOS,
          Iif(
                    Len([drgrev])=1,[drgrev],
                    Iif(
                              [drgrev] IN ("reversed",
                                           "rv"),"rv",LEFT([drgrev],1))) AS DRG,
          Iif(
                    Len([discharge])=1,[discharge],
                    Iif(
                              [discharge] IN ("reversed",
                                              "rv"),"rv",LEFT([discharge],1))) AS DISCH,
          Iif(
                    Len([qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate].[nyports])=1,[qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate].[nyports],
                    Iif(
                              [qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate].[nyports] IN ("reversed",
                                                                       "rv"),"rv",LEFT([qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate].[nyports],1))) AS NYP,
          Iif(
                    Len([quality])=1,[quality],
                    Iif(
                              [quality] IN ("reversed",
                                            "rv"),"rv",LEFT([quality],1))) AS QUAL,
          Iif(
                    Len([documentation])=1,[documentation],
                    Iif(
                              [documentation] IN ("reversed",
                                                  "rv"),"rv",LEFT([documentation],1))) AS DOC,
          Iif(
                    Len([qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate].[alc])=1,[qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate].[alc],
                    Iif(
                              [qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate].[alc] IN ("reversed",
                                                                   "rv"),"rv",LEFT([qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate].[alc],1))) AS ALCRev,
          Iif(
                    Len([transfer])=1,[transfer],
                    Iif(
                              [transfer] IN ("reversed",
                                             "rv"),"rv",LEFT([transfer],1))) AS TRAN,
          Iif(
                    Len([mortality])=1,[mortality],
                    Iif(
                              [mortality] IN ("reversed",
                                              "rv"),"rv",LEFT([mortality],1))) AS MORT,
          Iif(
                    Len([complication])=1,[complication],
                    Iif(
                              [complication] IN ("reversed",
                                                 "rv"),"rv",LEFT([complication],1))) AS [COMP],
          Iif(
                    Len([saereview])=1,[saereview],
                    Iif(
                              [saereview] IN ("reversed",
                                              "rv"),"rv",LEFT([saereview],1))) AS SAE,
          Iif(
                    Len([costoutlier])=1,[costoutlier],
                    Iif(
                              [costoutlier] IN ("reversed",
                                                "rv"),"rv",LEFT([costoutlier],1))) AS COSTO,
          DATE()                                                                   AS UpdateDate,
          Currentuser()                                                            AS [User]
FROM      qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate
LEFT JOIN tblrevresults
ON        (
                    qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate.revdate = tblrevresults.reviewdate)
AND       (
                    qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate.reviewerid = tblrevresults.reviewer)
AND       (
                    qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate.reviewlevel = tblrevresults.reviewlevel)
AND       (
                    qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate.casenbr = tblrevresults.casenbr)
WHERE     (((
                                        qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate.casenbr) IS NOT NULL)
          AND       ((
                                        qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate.reviewlevel) IS NOT NULL)
          AND       ((
                                        qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate.reviewerid) IS NOT NULL)
          AND       ((
                                        qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate.revdate) IS NOT NULL)
          AND       ((
                                        qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate.column)>1)
          AND       ((
                                        tblrevresults.casenbr)=""
                    OR        (
                                        tblrevresults.casenbr) IS NULL)
          AND       ((
                                        tblrevresults.reviewlevel)=""
                    OR        (
                                        tblrevresults.reviewlevel) IS NULL)
          AND       ((
                                        tblrevresults.reviewer)=""
                    OR        (
                                        tblrevresults.reviewer) IS NULL)
          AND       ((
                                        tblrevresults.reviewdate) IS NULL));((tblrevresults.reviewer)="" OR
(
  tblrevresults.reviewer
)
IS NULL) AND
(
  (
    tblrevresults.reviewdate
  )
  IS NULL
)
);

MajP

Local time
This is one of those cases where I would do a parameter insert. That is so complicated, I doubt I could debug that.
Code:
Public Function ParamInsert(TableName As String, TheFields As String, ParamArray TheValues() As Variant) As String
  Dim qdf As QueryDef
  Dim i As Integer
  Dim MyParams As New Collection
  Dim strMyParams As String
  Dim strSql As String
  For i = 0 To UBound(TheValues)
    MyParams.Add "Param" & i, "Param" & i
    If strMyParams = "" Then
      strMyParams = "[" & MyParams(i + 1) & "]"
    Else
      strMyParams = strMyParams & ", " & "[" & MyParams(i + 1) & "]"
    End If
  Next i
  strSql = "INSERT INTO " & TableName & " " & TheFields & " VALUES ( " & strMyParams & ")"
  ParamInsert = strSql
  Set qdf = CurrentDb.CreateQueryDef("TempQuery", strSql)
   For i = 0 To UBound(TheValues)
    qdf.Parameters(i) = TheValues(i)
  Next i
  qdf.Execute
  CurrentDb.QueryDefs.Delete ("tempquery")
End Function
Public Sub TestParamInsert()
  Dim TheFields As String
  Dim FirstName As Variant
  Dim LastName As Variant
  FirstName = Null
  LastName = "Smith"
  TheFields = InsertFields("FirstName", "LastName", "OrderID", "OrderDate")
  ParamInsert "MyTable", TheFields, FirstName, LastName, 1, Date
End Sub

This way you can resolve all of those parameters and debug them in code to ensure they are correct format. I think that would be much easier.

Also use this module to help with delimiting

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
@MajP
Can we have the InsertFields() function as well please?

TIA

MajP

Local time
I take back what I said. The query looks complex, but it is really pretty simple and could be easily debugged by building the select statement and seeing if it runs. So please disregard my previous.
I think in order to debug this you can assume the iifs and joins are working so this is where you focus it would be simply below. Except I do see a problem in the join which I left in
Code:
            (
                        casenbr,
                        reviewlevel,
                        reviewtype,
                        reviewer,
                        reviewdate, 'DATE
                        updatedate, 'DATE
                        [user]
            )
SELECT    qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate.casenbr, 'Text
          qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate.reviewlevel, 'Text
          qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate.reviewtype, 'Text
          qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate.reviewerid,  'Text
          qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate.revdate,      'DATE converted
           DATE()   AS UpdateDate, 'DATE
          Currentuser()  AS [User]
LEFT JOIN tblrevresults
;

I do not know if this is a typo, but I see this line
Code:
I do not know how that would even save. So may be part of your problem, but I assume you built this off of the QDE, so I am guessing maybe that is a typo.

So before going down rabbit holes are you convinced the date fields are the type and not something else can you verify all the source and desitination data types in the code snippet. When I see things like CaseNbr and told it is text I start to have questions.

MajP

Local time
Now I do have an issue with the iifs. Seems overly complext
Code:
          Iif(Len([admission])=1,[admission],Iif([admission] IN ("reversed","rv"),"rv",LEFT([admission],1))) AS ADM
Is that not simply
Code:
          Iif([admission] = "reversed","rv",LEFT([admission],1) AS ADM

pbuethe

Returning User
Local time
Now I do have an issue with the iifs. Seems overly complext
Code:
          Iif(Len([admission])=1,[admission],Iif([admission] IN ("reversed","rv"),"rv",LEFT([admission],1))) AS ADM
Is that not simply
Code:
          Iif([admission] = "reversed","rv",LEFT([admission],1) AS ADM
Good suggestion, although your revision is not quite right . It should be:

Code:
Iif([Admission] IN ("Reversed","RV"), "RV", Left([Admission],1) AS ADM

I will revise the query accordingly, then continue working on the problem.

MajP

Local time
Did you look at the semicolon in the middle of your code. Is that real or just a typo?
Code:
AND ((tblRevResults.ReviewDate) Is Null)); ((tblRevResults.Reviewer)="" Or

pbuethe

Returning User
Local time
Did you look at the semicolon in the middle of your code. Is that real or just a typo?
Code:
AND ((tblRevResults.ReviewDate) Is Null)); ((tblRevResults.Reviewer)="" Or
Just a typo, there is nothing after the semicolon. Thanks.

pbuethe

Returning User
Local time
I discussed it with my supervisor and the creator of the source table. The result is that that person is going to make the date field into date/time type, which should help me a lot. We also discovered some other revisions that are needed, so it was very productive. I will keep you posted on what happens.

MajP

Local time
Are you confident the date fields dare the issue. There are a other things that look suspicious just by their names. If you are sure it is the date then OK, but do not get too focused without looking at the bigger picture.
ReviewID is this really text, I normally would have a numeric?
Is caseNbr, level, type really text?

pbuethe

Returning User
Local time
No, I am not completely sure the date is the issue, but I thought it was the most likely. The ReviewerID and CaseNbr look like numbers, but the data type is Text.

MajP

Local time
Can you do a small test with just these fields and a minimum join. Then remove fields 1 by 1. Start with the date fields
Code:
            (
                        casenbr,
                        reviewlevel,
                        reviewtype,
                        reviewer,
                        reviewdate, 'DATE
                        updatedate, 'DATE
                        [user]
            )
SELECT    qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate.casenbr, 'Text
          qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate.reviewlevel, 'Text
          qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate.reviewtype, 'Text
          qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate.reviewerid,  'Text
          qrytbl011_level1_8_cdate.revdate,      'DATE converted
           DATE()   AS UpdateDate, 'DATE
          Currentuser()  AS [User]
LEFT JOIN tblrevresults

Another thing that could be happening is that your source is all text fields. It is possible (I do not know the source) that the "empty" fields are not null but in fact empty strings. That will fail inserted into a numeric.
However that would not likely give a mismatch but a failure to insert x records message.

pbuethe

Returning User
Local time
Once the ReviewDate in the source table was changed to a Date/Time data type, I was able to easily join on that field; I added Time fields to the query which were also changed from Text to Date/Time; I didn't have to go through contortions and the query worked perfectly as follows:

Code:
INSERT INTO tblRevResults ( CaseNbr, ReviewLevel, ReviewType, Reviewer, ReviewDate, StartTime1, StopTime1, StartTime2, StopTime2, ADM, LOS, DRG, DISCH, NYPORTS, QUAL, DOC, ALC, TRAN, MORT, [COMP], SAE, COSTO, UpdateDate, [User] )
SELECT tbl011_Level1_8.CaseNbr, tbl011_Level1_8.ReviewLevel, tbl011_Level1_8.ReviewType, tbl011_Level1_8.ReviewerID, tbl011_Level1_8.ReviewDate, tbl011_Level1_8.StartTime1, tbl011_Level1_8.StopTime1, tbl011_Level1_8.StartTime2, tbl011_Level1_8.StopTime2, IIf([Admission] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([Admission],1)) AS ADM, IIf([LengStay] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([LengStay],1)) AS LOS, IIf([DRGRev] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([DRGRev],1)) AS DRG, IIf([Discharge] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([Discharge],1)) AS DISCH, IIf([tbl011_Level1_8].[NYPORTS] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([tbl011_Level1_8].[NYPORTS],1)) AS NYP, IIf([Quality] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([Quality],1)) AS QUAL, IIf([Documentation] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([Documentation],1)) AS DOC, IIf([tbl011_Level1_8].[ALC] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([tbl011_Level1_8].[ALC],1)) AS ALCRev, IIf([Transfer] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([Transfer],1)) AS TRAN, IIf([Mortality] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([Mortality],1)) AS MORT, IIf([Complication] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([Complication],1)) AS [COMP], IIf([SAEReview] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([SAEReview],1)) AS SAE, IIf([CostOutlier] In ("Reversed","RV"),"RV",Left([CostOutlier],1)) AS COSTO, Date() AS UpdateDate, CurrentUser() AS [User]
FROM tbl011_Level1_8 LEFT JOIN tblRevResults ON (tbl011_Level1_8.ReviewDate = tblRevResults.ReviewDate) AND (tbl011_Level1_8.ReviewerID = tblRevResults.Reviewer) AND (tbl011_Level1_8.ReviewLevel = tblRevResults.ReviewLevel) AND (tbl011_Level1_8.CaseNbr = tblRevResults.CaseNbr)
WHERE (((tbl011_Level1_8.CaseNbr) Is Not Null) AND ((tbl011_Level1_8.ReviewLevel) Is Not Null) AND ((tbl011_Level1_8.ReviewerID) Is Not Null) AND ((tbl011_Level1_8.ReviewDate) Is Not Null) AND ((tbl011_Level1_8.Column)>1) AND ((tblRevResults.CaseNbr) Is Null) AND ((tblRevResults.ReviewLevel) Is Null) AND ((tblRevResults.Reviewer) Is Null) AND ((tblRevResults.ReviewDate) Is Null));

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
So a CDate() on that RevDate would have done the same task? :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom