database design (1 Viewer)

Anafer

Local time
Today, 14:27
Hi, I was planning to design a database (relational model). Someone with good experience in this matter suggested to me that before choosing a database system I would have to consider the sizing of the database and other factors. I have no idea about those factors¡¡ I have been reading quite a lot and I bumped into a lot of information of database(relational model) however I cannot find information on previous stages of database design to be considered before choosing a database system.
My other concern is:

How can I measure the sizing of the database?
I would appreciate some guidance

Regards

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 10:27
Very BROAD question Anafer. Can you give some specifics regarding what the DB would be used for? How many users? Equipment available (PC Lan, Citrix server, SQL Server, Sharepoint, etc)

Without some of this answers upfront, this could take a LONG time to answer

Edit: Welcome to AWF, BTW!

Anafer

Local time
Hi, thanks for your prompt reply.

it is a small business. The database will run on local server apache with three small departments (no more than 10 people). We will create a website with PHP to display the information

It a small project.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Thanks for the info. It appears that a split Access DB (assuming the PC's have it installed) is more than capable to handle the task. Displaying the info to a Web Application is something I know very little about. But don't you worry, the Calvary is not far behind me...I'm more or less a scout!

Anafer

Local time
Thanks again¡
Giving you a bit more details (PHPMyAdmin) + Mysql + php+ HTML

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If you are going to or are using MySQL, then where/why would Access fit?
Seems you have identified a common approach ((PHPMyAdmin) + Mysql + php+ HTML).
Perhaps there's more to your question and intent. Lots of info on youtube and net.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Access is great for databases, but doesn't interface with websites.
Access databases can handle data sizes up to 2Gb, which is generally around a million or more records of data, give or take. Sufficeint for most SME's.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A database schema doesn't depend on the database engine used to implement it. Baring special features, a sound design for Oracle is sound for Jet/ACE and SQL Server and MySQL also.

"Access" is NOT a database engine. "Access" is a RAD (Rapid Application Development) tool that is used to create applications in a client/server environment. "Access" requires Jet/ACE (the desktop database engines (.mdb, .accdb) in which to store its objects (forms, reports, etc) but "Access" can use Jet/ACE or ANY RDBMS that supports ODBC as its BE database.

Although using Jet/ACE to power a web page is possible, it is not recommended at all. Jet/ACE is a desktop database engine made for use on a LAN. It does not scale well at all and should not be used to power a web page even though it is technically possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom