Database naming conventions - examples? (1 Viewer)

Twilkes

Local time
Today, 21:55
I'm not talking about naming conventions as in tblThis or qryThat, but I have 100+ queries, many of which do similar things from slightly different angles - e.g. a query that gives the total sales per store per month; the same query but per store per product per month; the same query but per sales manager per store per month etc. And these are then used in queries further up the tree that also have similar but slightly different results.

So is there an example database anywhere that I can download that has a decent amount of queries, and a sensible naming convention? I think I'm tying myself in knots because I have only a few tables but lots of queries (for data analysis), whereas most databases I see have lots of tables and a handful of queries.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:55
I suggest you post a jpg of your tables and relationships, so that we have some understanding of your set up.

I don't know that a naming convention as you have described is readily available or transportable.

You may want to name your queries in a manner that has meaning to you and your users. I'm inluding a link to Martin Green's site and some forms to select the proper query to run. He has a number of tutorials with examples, and I'm sure you'll find some useful info there.

http://www.fontstuff.com/access/acctut17.htm

Twilkes

Local time
Thanks, that's a good tutorial site, I'll probably pick up some tips from there. But the example downloads are quite small. I wasn't expecting to lift a naming convention from another database and apply it to mine, more to see what kinds of things other people do when they have 100+ queries in a database. Will keep looking. :)

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:55
When people have 100+ queries, they start to look for patterns, and see if they can design parameter queries. This allows 1 query to accept different parameter values and produce/select the appropriate data.

The next step is to simplify the interface so that by selecting a few fields from combo boxes in a form, you can identify the parameter value and substitute it in an SQL template, and with the click of a button, you run the correct parameter query.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I thought I answered this, but I had some problems posting earlier on.

I thnik with big databases it is very hard to keep track of everything. you design what you need to address each problem.

sometimes you can end up solving the same problem twice!

I wouldn't spend a lot of time renaming. you might affect stuff that works, and it will then take a while to fixup all the names.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom