Datasheet subform - column headings (1 Viewer)

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
Today, 12:49
I've got a datasheet subform that has a number of fields containing short textual data, but the column headings are long descriptions (and need to be) - for example, one of the column headings is "Default Cost Centre" - the data in that column is only five digits alphanumeric text.

What I would like to do is have column headings with the text on three rows like:

Cost
Centre

[data]
[data]
[data]

-thus enabling the column width to be decreased, showing more useful data without horizontal scrolling.

Is it possible?

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 07:49
You can alias the column names in query design with something like:

MyNewColName: mydatafldname

Hope that makes sense and is what you are looking for...

Edit: My bad, I didn't read your post very well the first time. I'm pretty sure your only option is going to be to use a subform in continuous view instead of a datasheet.

Last edited:

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 04:49
Alternatively, are you using datasheet? If so, try continuous form so you have more control and can dump the column headings into label control that you can size to a certain width.

KenHigg

Local time
Sorry Banana, didn't mean to post over your suggestion with my edit :)

Banana

Local time
Oh no worries. I actually thought your first post made sense at first glance as I thought he wanted to break three words across three columns then realized that I didn't understand the question correctly.

I guess if saying goes that a good turn deserves another, a good confusion deserves other? ;) :p

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
Thanks - yeah, I may have to use a continuous form. There are disadvantages to that though (selecting a new record snaps back to the first column, for example)

KenHigg

Local time
If that were a deal breaker I'd think you could code around that issue - ?

Banana

Local time
Hm. Don't recall that behavior of snapping back to first column...

Just whipped up a quick'n'dirty form and tested. Seems to me that if you disabled record selectors, then that problem of snapback goes away because it only happens if it's clicked. Clicking anywhere on the form has no such effect.

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
I'll give that a try.

Is there a width limit on continuous forms? My last six columns or so all got bunched into one overlapped mess and I can't seem to stretch or move them any further to the right - the form isn't exceptionally, wide, but I seem to have hit a limit.

Banana

Local time
I have 23" screen with 1900x1200 resolution and I can fill it up, and it can expand up to 65,000 twips (~22 inches wide).

I'm not sure what is going on here... What if you made a new form?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
If you look in the help file for "Access Specification" you will find that a form (or report) has a max of 22 inches wide.

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
Looks like I'm hitting the max width. The form only has a dozen columns or so, and only formatted to an 11 point font, but it's too much for a continuous form.

Looks like I'll have to go for a datasheet and narrow the columns by abbreviating the header captions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom