Solved Delay in MS Access Response (1 Viewer)

Sun_Force

Local time
Today, 22:19
I'm not a fun of Windows updates and I've disabled it in group policy, but the other day windows gave me a message that this version of windows 10 will be expired on **** (which I don't remember the exact date) and I have to update to 20H2 version. (which I did)

Ever since, Ms Access shows a long delay in opening any databases.
If I launch Access, it's lunched in a blink of an eye. But it shows a 3-5 minutes delay for opening any database.
If I launch Access, create a blank database and close it (without any form or table or anything) and try to open the same blank database, I have to wait for 2-3 minutes for it to be launched.

Apparently, I can not Roll back the windows update, because I have to update again.
The PC I use is a monster and I don't think it's a PC side problem (memory, CPU or others.)

What will you do in this situation.

Thanks for any kind of advice.

Edit : Access is the only Office app affected by this update. Word, Excel, Visio and others are just fine.
Using Microsoft Office 365.

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 13:19
You must have restore points surely?, although you are only delaying the inevitable really?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 21:19
you may also run (on command prompt ->elevated):

sfc /scannow

system file checker

Sun_Force

Local time
You must have restore points surely?, although you are only delaying the inevitable really?
I have a disk image that I can use to go back to.
Windows always create a restore point before any update. So I can use any of them. My concern is what will happen if I go back to that certain point?
I have to update again and possibly face the same situation.

If you think there's a hope there and there's a chance to recover this problem by rolling back and updating again, I'll do it.

thank you.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I have 20H2 on all my computers, and not noticed any difference?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Make sure that your O365 is also bang up to date, and you don't have any pending or failed updates.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:19
I'm on 21H1 (Win/64bit) with Ac2010 and have not noticed this problem.

Are you by any chance using "late binding" techniques and does something in your DB involve Application Objects that get defined by whatever is your opening form?

I'm not familiar with O365's details, so if this is a stupid question, forgive me, but... can you perhaps run an "Office Repair" option to have your system do a "repairing installation" operation? On the disk-based kits, that was possible and often helped things after updates.

Sun_Force

Local time
@Minty thanks for the advice. Just checked and it's updated. No pending updates

@The_Doc_Man
Office 365 has the same repair option with a slightly different taste;

2021-07-28_0-18-33.jpg

I tried both. In each case the situation was promising and the delay was removed. But a reboot of the PC brought me back to this situation again.

I will try a full uninstall and clean install to see if it makes any difference.

thanks for the advice.

Edit : I have only one case of late binding. I will check to see what will happen if I change it to early binding.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I tried both. In each case the situation was promising and the delay was removed. But a reboot of the PC brought me back to this situation again.

OK, that actually triggered a thought. When you do a "repair" you often re-install original files from the kit, files that might not have been patched. But when you do a reboot, Windows has a chance to re-establish the updates. While I cannot point specifically to anything, this "smells" like you got whacked by a patch.

If you go to your Windows Update page, one of the links will point to a list of patches and the dates each was installed. I would bet that you had a huge number of patches that included some Office updates - which of course includes Office library updates.

I did a little search and found some apparently relevant articles, though it is hard to be sure. Take a look, something on one of them might help.

Some of the articles mention a specific KB article that is suspicious. It may be of limited comfort, but it would appear that you are not alone in your observation. Don't know if any of the articles will help, but the fact that a lot of people have complained might make MS look at what they did to see if there is yet another patch to be offered.

Sun_Force

Local time
@The_Doc_Man I really appreciate your research. I will go through the articles you posted to see if I can do anything.
Thanks again for your input.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Out of interest, do you have a default printer, even if its just "print to pdf"? Amazingly, not having a printer set up can cause issues like this.
Another issue might be if something is making your HD usage go to 100%. Check task manager. My wife's PC has 100% disk usage at times. I have no idea why. It's such a pain.

Sun_Force

Local time
Out of interest, do you have a default printer, even if its just "print to pdf"? Amazingly, not having a printer set up can cause issues like this.
Another issue might be if something is making your HD usage go to 100%. Check task manager. My wife's PC has 100% disk usage at times. I have no idea why. It's such a pain.
Yes I have a default printer.
As I said it's only Access that shows this delay time. I suspect if there was something with HD usage, other apps should have been slowed down too.
But I will check this out as soon as I'm back to university.

Sun_Force

Local time
This morning, back to collage and I noticed Windows 10 has had an update during the weekend and it seems that Access behaves normally. Databases open very fast (as expected) and the several minutes delay has been disappeared.
Seems that as @The_Doc_Man advised, MS was aware of the the problem and they patched it with this new update.

I really appreciate all who tried to help.
Thank you.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Glad to have contributed with advice even if it was only to advise patience. This isn't the first time we have seen a well-meaning patch that was off the mark. In over 30 years of officially being an O/S person, I have seen "buggy" patches come out for more than just Windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom