Deployment - where should I start? (1 Viewer)

Steve C

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:34
Hello

About deployment.

What's your view on Keyed Access from http://www.peterssoftware.com/ka.htm?

Is it a straightforward shortcut to deploy my db? Or should I knuckle down and learn how to do it myself from scratch?

I looked at http://www.sagekey.com/installation_access.aspx But, reading their blurb, it doesn't look like I would easily inderstand it. And, it seems a bit over qualified. Although others on this site think Sagekey is good, no doubt their Access skills are ahead of mine.

I've thought about issuing my db in a Runtime Environment, and although I don't completely understand what 'Runtime environment' means, I already know I'm looking for a little more security.

Beetle

Duly Registered Boozer
Local time
Today, 01:34
Depends on what you mean by "Deployment". That's a bit of a broad term.

• You might be deploying to 5 users all within your immediate working space.
  • You might be deploying to 100 users throughout your corporation, but still all on the same LAN.
  • You might mean that you have a stand alone application that you want to make available to anyone via download but you want to implement a license key.
  • Or, something else

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:34
i would investigate the mechanisms to do something yourself, even if you end up going another way.

Steve C

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for your answer Beetle. Sorry – sometimes I say too much, other times, like now, not enough.

I need to distribute a stand alone application with licence key. No LAN. How would you do it?

Thanks Gemma-The-Husky. You know I’m far from being good enough to write the code to create a licence key anytime soon.

Seems to me, Peter’s Software offer a $300 Module which bolts on and does everything I want. What’s not to like (apart from the $300 obviously)?

Unless I missed something…

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
i think i looked at it, but then did what I wanted myself

it isn't just the deployment - it's also how you maintain a database at a distance.

Steve C

Registered User.
Local time
I'm going to do as you suggest JTH (thank you) - and have a go myself. It's not really about saving the $300, instead, it's that the db will be better the more I understand it.

I've no plans to maintain the Back End (that's Tables right?) each user will write their own data. And, no copy of the db will interact with any other copy. I may want to issue a one Table with records and have an Append Query bring those Records to the user BE.

I will want to issue new Front Ends (Forms, Reports). I think it's fairly straightforward to send out new FE and have the user link their BE although, I don't have a scooby doo how to do that at the moment, I've only read up enough to get an overview.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
the problem is if the database fails in use because of logic error, data error or corruption - or even if users do not quite understand how to use access properly - your users/customers will not be able to access the code to fix it themselves, and will look to you for support.

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
i think i looked at it, but then did what I wanted myself

it isn't just the deployment - it's also how you maintain a database at a distance.

Hi GTH,
Can you explain in laymen's terms how you accomplished writing the code for this? If I knew what I was trying to code I'd love to take a stab at it myself. Also, I'd like to hear more about how you choose to maintain your stand-alone deployments....as this is a concern for me with the product I'm considering producing.

Thanks,
Gary

ions

Access User
Local time
I deleted my question and started a specific SageKey thread.

Last edited:

Steve C

Registered User.
Local time
I went ahead and bought Peter's Software Keyed Access Programme

And it seems fine. The only small glitch I have had so far is that to generate the registration numbers requires temporarily setting User Account Control to "never notify" which once I received an email back from Peter's Software to explain the problem was sorted straightaway.

As Gemma The Huskey suggested, did carefully I consider doing this work myself, but, I only do this in my spare time and this part of the job has only to be done once, and so the programme was worth the $299 to me since I can now get straight on with the next bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom