Did I make this up? (1 Viewer)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 03:03
Rich said:
Will I be allowed to mention the fact that I had a gollywog as a child and read Enid Blyton avidly? :confused:

Not sure of the point your making here

Brian

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Brianwarnock said:
Of course some words have been used in an offensive manner so much that they are irredeemable "nigger" is such a word, but I suspect that those who use "Chinky" as short hand for a takeaway or meal have never used it as a derogatory word and have never come across it in that sense, does that make their use of it racist?

No I don't think it does.

But you've clarified my point nicely. If someone has been brought up completely unaware of the origins of the use of the "n-word" and then proceeds to use the term in complete ignorance of its history does that change the fact that some may take offense? How is the listener supposed to know of the user's frame of reference?

My sole point is this, these terms were coined by morons. They have racial derivations and can quite easily be interpreted as an insult even though none was intended. I'm aware that some interpret these words with the meaning of their original use. Something which they are perfectly entitled to do. That's why I discard their use.

I'm not calling anybody a racist. I'm just saying I find these words inappropriate because of their original intent.

R

Rich

Brianwarnock said:
Not sure of the point your making here

Brian
aren't they now seen as racist by definition?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Rich said:
aren't they now seen as racist by definition?

I meant in relation to my "suggested" sticky, but yes the PC crowd do see them as offensive, maybe some or all or no black/brpwn people do, I don't know, I make this comment as it is often the case that the PC crowd see things as offensive that the people who are supposed to be offended don't.

I included brown BTW as most Africans seem tobe a shade of brown rather than black, althougth the Optometrist I used to see was as black as the ace of spades.

Brian

R

Rich

dan-cat said:

But you've clarified my point nicely. If someone has been brought up completely unaware of the origins of the use of the "n-word" and then proceeds to use the term in complete ignorance of its history does that change the fact that some may take offense? How is the listener supposed to know of the user's frame of reference?

My sole point is this, these terms were coined by morons. They have racial derivations and can quite easily be interpreted as an insult even though none was intended. I'm aware that some interpret these words with the meaning of their original use. Something which they are perfectly entitled to do. That's why I discard their use.

I'm not calling anybody a racist. I'm just saying I find these words inappropriate because of their original intent.

Gosh one does so have to mind ones ps and qs :eek:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
dan-cat said:

I may have misunderstood Dan, but I thought you wern't going to continue with this discussion.
Dan-Cat said:
That's it nothing more from me.
Dan-Cat said:
This is a complete waste of time.
Dan-Cat said:
You're talking utter garbage. Goodbye.
Dan-Cat said:
I'm gonna let go of the bone now.

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
dan-cat said:
But you've clarified my point nicely. If someone has been brought up completely unaware of the origins of the use of the "n-word" and then proceeds to use the term in complete ignorance of its history does that change the fact that some may take offense? How is the listener supposed to know of the user's frame of reference?.

Surprising how you managed to omit the next sentence of mine in your quote, thus giving the appearance that I would freely accept continued use of a word somebody found offensive.

Of course if somebody objects they would apologise and refrain, but if we follow that path on an international forum then I guess we need a sticky with forbidden words and phrases.

Brian

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
I may have misunderstood Dan, but I thought you wern't going to continue with this discussion.
Col

You got me. Take me away offica' :p

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Brianwarnock said:
Surprising how you managed to omit the next sentence of mine in your quote, thus giving the appearance that I would freely accept continued use of a word somebody found offensive.

No, no, no. I never meant to give such an appearance. If I did I apologise.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Fine, no harm done, I think our views are pretty similar.

Brian

selenau837

Can still see y'all......
Local time
Yesterday, 22:03
Rich said:
The men in white coats are on their way

My wanna make sure the insurance covers that diagnosis code. :p

R

Rich

selenau837 said:
My wanna make sure the insurance covers that diagnosis code. :p
Why do I get this vision of Danny being thrown out the back of the ambulance at 60mph when they discover he's not covered for this condition anymore having used up all his cover:eek: :D

selenau837

Can still see y'all......
Local time
Rich said:
Why do I get this vision of Danny being thrown out the back of the ambulance at 60mph when they discover he's not covered for this condition anymore having used up all his cover:eek: :D

That would be a cute comic strip!! Mr Cat you're approval for this disgnosis has been denied due to all the benefits have been used for this benefit period. Last words he here is 'Tuck and Roll Danny boy!! tuck and roll!!'

stephen81

Registered User.
Local time
I think Brian is right. Generally it's the context that determines whether a word is offensive or not. There are some words that now get labelled as offensive no matter what the context though. As mentioned earlier "nigger" is one of these. Part of the problem though is that once these words get labelled as offensive or racist, their non-prejudiced uses get forgotten and we effectively lose the word to racists. Another example is "paki". Short for pakistani, and in that respect no different to "Brit" or "Ozzy" for example. As far as I'm aware neither of those terms are considered unacceptable though. I can't speak for Australians, but as a brit I don't consider that to be offensive. "Paki" is different though because it has been used as a term of offense. Quite often it will be used to refer to anyone from that vague area of the world, i.e. India, which is why the people it is aimed at often find it offensive. Much like calling a New Zealander an Australian or a Canadian and American. If some of these words were used more in a non-offensive context then they would probably become acceptable again. I remember seeing a programme on tv a while ago about a pakistani in England who started his own clothing line. He called it PAK1 in order to try and reclaim the term paki from the racists.

Last edited:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Thats very good Steve. I agree with you.

We, ('er indoors and me) didn't have a chinky last weekend, we had fish n chips from the chippy in the end.

Anyone in the UK remember "Love Thy Neighbour"? The TV show from the 70's, blatantly what would now be racist, but remember how the "white honky" always came off worse and was shown to be totally stupid.

That series was extremely well written - its now hailed as one of the classics in UK TV history.

Col

KenHigg

Local time
Rich said:
Just thought I'd mention that since I don't have an oven at the minute I had two Chinkies this weekend, I must say I was highly suprised at their friendly greeting toward this racist when I entered the premises .

They were probably surprised as well at you not spouting racial slurs this time in their business... See, hanging out around here has had a positive effect on you :) :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom