Discussion For RIBBON (1 Viewer)

genesis

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:52
Hi good day!

I would like to suggest to make a separate discussion for RIBBON.

Because I think, ribbon is also a large topic, and what I think is like an object like tables, query, form and others.

though it maybe possible to place the ribbon topic inside the general section, I just think that the ribbon topic is also as special as other objects of access. So it would be easier to facilitate posting and looking for answers if it were separated from other object topics.

Just a suggestion.

CEH

Curtis
Local time
Yesterday, 21:52
Agreed!
We deal with VBA as a separate topic.... The ribbon is here to stay... like it or not... so we now deal with XML...

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Hi good day!

I would like to suggest to make a separate discussion for RIBBON.

Because I think, ribbon is also a large topic, and what I think is like an object like tables, query, form and others.

though it maybe possible to place the ribbon topic inside the general section, I just think that the ribbon topic is also as special as other objects of access. So it would be easier to facilitate posting and looking for answers if it were separated from other object topics.

Just a suggestion.

I think you will be fighting an uphill battle to get this done. I don't think there is enough demand to warrant it. Opinion of what Jon might say.

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:52
What part of f**k off does the ribbon not understand!

Simon

genesis

Registered User.
Local time
What part of f**k off does the ribbon not understand!

Simon

If you are going to say that Simon, you might as well also say "What part of f**k off does the form, report, etc not understand!"

If you are already well verse and knowledgeable about Ribbon, it's only you or some but not ALL. So dont say f**k not understand!

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
If you come from a programming background it is hard to see what the ribbon anything other than eye candy - it is when MS takes away features that customised Menus, the Ribbon hardly endears itself to old hands!

Simon

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
If you come from a programming background it is hard to see what the ribbon anything other than eye candy - it is when MS takes away features that customised Menus, the Ribbon hardly endears itself to old hands!

Simon

Well, Simon, you know that they are just looking to give the old programmers heart attacks so that they aren't around any longer to be able to shout at them about the "old days of programming." :D

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
A lot of people feel they are the 'old guard' but they have zero idea how far computing had gotten when they came on board, and how the progress has actually provided them with a living. I started with a teletype terminal which we would dial into a mainframe in McGill in Montreal and run BASIC programs on tickertape.
It was amazing to many when we had to debate which was better - the 'new' IBM XT or the AT... I do remember reading a review that 20MB hard drive was more memory that a person could use in a lifetime... meanwhile there were people who swore the PCs would never replace typewriters and paperwork :eek:
The more things change the more they stay the same...

Well, Simon, you know that they are just looking to give the old programmers heart attacks so that they aren't around any longer to be able to shout at them about the "old days of programming." :D

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
yeah, things are always changing. My grandfather had the fantastic opportunity of debugging the first two space flight simulators. The reason he says he got the job was because he was so short he could fit inside the simulator. Imagine if things never changed, we wouldn't progress as a civilization. (Not that all progressions are good, but some are, like computers.)

Also my granfather was a systems recovery analyst for the city of Houston way back when and tells me about the giant main frames that he used to work with. It's amazing to think about.

Maybe this ribbon (which I have actually never seen as I still use 2003) is a good thing, maybe a baby step in a new progression. I think what I've loved the most about learning access is the opportunity to learn seomething new. I look forward to using 2007 eventually, to learn what it has to offer and a new way of doing things. Why? Because I know I can learn it.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
We have some new computers which arrived with 2007 which needed to be reverted to 2003/XP Pro. It was fun to 'play' with for a while as well as 'mucking around' with the MACesque Windows 7. I can see this fitting in well with a lot of the present and future goals of clients, but for the moment these are things I will need to learn for future endeavors.

It would have been amazing working with your grandfather on the GGC processors, I have a operational Wang from that era which is slow and less capacity on all dimentions then a current wristwatch - aside from size and weight.

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
We have some new computers which arrived with 2007 which needed to be reverted to 2003/XP Pro. It was fun to 'play' with for a while as well as 'mucking around' with the MACesque Windows 7. I can see this fitting in well with a lot of the present and future goals of clients, but for the moment these are things I will need to learn for future endeavors.

I can understand that. I haven't even heard of windows 7...

It would have been amazing working with your grandfather on the GGC processors, I have a operational Wang from that era which is slow and less capacity on all dimentions then a current wristwatch - aside from size and weight.

He has a bunch of pictures of himself standing next to the mainframes, and they are taller than him! He tells me about how he used to have to drive into Houston at two in the morning to recover jobs that had been lost or dropped. It's amazing to think about how they worked. I don't know exactly, but I seem to remember (from what my G-pa says) that there was a thing that slid up and down a rail and would punch inside the different "jobs" that were in queue. And there weren't monitors like now, just printouts.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
If ever my Systems programmers complained about the IBM software I would point out that it was IBM's incompetence that gave them a good living.

The thing I enjoyed about working in DP/IT from '62 to '06 was the constant learning.

However not all change is good, I have not seen Ribbon but Bob Larson seems to be the only person who does not dislike it. Also since Microsoft target the home market their policy of frequent change for change's sake is not good.

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
If you are going to say that Simon, you might as well also say "What part of f**k off does the form, report, etc not understand!"

If you are already well verse and knowledgeable about Ribbon, it's only you or some but not ALL. So dont say f**k not understand!

BTW genesis Simon was criticising Ribbon , not you or anybody else.

Brian

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
If ever my Systems programmers complained about the IBM software I would point out that it was IBM's incompetence that gave them a good living.

The thing I enjoyed about working in DP/IT from '62 to '06 was the constant learning.

However not all change is good, I have not seen Ribbon but Bob Larson seems to be the only person who does not dislike it. Also since Microsoft target the home market their policy of frequent change for change's sake is not good.

Brian

I googled DP/IT and the first suggestion was double penetration? I'm now wondering what the IT is.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I used to work in Data Processing then one day I woke up and found that I now worked in Information Technology, can't say I noticed any difference, we still processed data.

Brian

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Ta before my time - is this when they had card with holes in?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
That's what I started on but I think the name change came in the 70s but can't remember for sure.

The great thing about punched cards was that they needed lots of young dolly birds to punch up the data and our programs, happy days. :D

Brian

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Every card had Do Not Fold, Bend, Mutilate or Spindle written on the bottom of it and there were people who would not follow this instruction so you would have to bring a box of 'rejects' to a data entry clerk for duplication. Then put the entire card deck back into a card sorter and then resubmit the job.
The other data media which was considered portable was the punch tape or paper tape or ticker tape. A paper ribbon (yikes there is the word Ribbon again - lol) with holes punched into them which would be read by the ASCII reader. To add confusion there was two principal formats TLX and TTY and we used to have to keep a second copy of the paper tape in case the main copy ripped or got a tattered edge or became too worn.
On the front lines everything was paper with no monitors and people would become very cleaver in their spare time writing 'music' for teletype machines to play by patterns in keystrokes, very cleaver people even wrote programs so that they teletype machines would produce pictures made from overstriking characters on the page. Art and music were generally confined to being produced on weekends and night shifts as it was considered a waste of time 'playing around' with computers.

He has a bunch of pictures of himself standing next to the mainframes, and they are taller than him! He tells me about how he used to have to drive into Houston at two in the morning to recover jobs that had been lost or dropped. It's amazing to think about how they worked. I don't know exactly, but I seem to remember (from what my G-pa says) that there was a thing that slid up and down a rail and would punch inside the different "jobs" that were in queue. And there weren't monitors like now, just printouts.

I do not see Bob Larson as being the only one on this thread who does not dislike ribbon.
MicroSoft has a vision of the direction of computing to include features it sees as beneficial based on what external individuals and companies generate as GUIs as well as mimmicing the popular features of competitors.

Brian

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
MicroSoft has a vision of the direction of computing to include features it sees as beneficial based on what external individuals and companies generate as GUIs as well as mimmicing the popular features of competitors.

Hm, who had ribbons before Microsoft? I'm under the impression it was their idea that never existed anywhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom