Solved Dlookup Mismatch error (1 Viewer)

Poco_90

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:47
I know (I actually don't :)) it is somthing stupid. I had this DLookup working but for some reason now it isn't. When it was working I had me.txtSerial, but with tiral an derror and other fourm suggestions it has changed to below.

Code:
If DLookup("[Serial Number]", "[tblPassed]", "[Serial Number] ='" & [Forms]![frmValidation]![txtSerial] & "'") Then
                          MsgBox "Serial Number is Good"

It is embarassing how long I have spent trying to resolve this, but would appreciate any input.

I have a form(frmValidation) that is taking in a delimited string into a field. I am splitting the elements of the string into individaul text boxes, one being txtSerial, and my aim os to see if this value is in the tblPassed table.

Thanks in advance.

GaP42

Local time
Today, 10:47
{Serial Number] is defined as of type integer? and txtSerial - is a string. Need to convert

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:47
Can you post a copy of the database with info to highlight the issue?

Is there any more to the error message?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
If serial number is numeric, remove the single quotes from your form control. However, why would you lookup a serial number, using the serial number you already have? and not test equal :(
Perhaps use Dcount() with same criteria > 0

XPS35

Local time
Today, 02:47
The DLookup will return the value of er serial number. If .... Then expects an expression that is True or False where the .... are.
I think that is why you get a type mismatch.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:47
Code:
if Dcount("*", "[tblPassed]", "[Serial Number] ='" & [Forms]![frmValidation]![txtSerial] & "'") > 0 Then

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Yesterday, 19:47
Your If will never resolve to False. Never. It can only be True or throw an error.

Even if you have a serial number that is literally "FALSE", that will resolve to True. If it doesn't find the serial number at all it will blow up and throw an error, which is what I believed happened. You should not use DLookup you should use DCount. MajP has provided an example.

Additionally, you are not doing yourself any favors by having spaces in field names (e.g. [Serial Number]). It just makes coding and querying that much more difficult. Only use alphanumeric and underscores in Access names.

Poco_90

Registered User.
Local time
I don't know what happened. I posted the DB 4 hours ago but it only seem to go through now. Thanks for the replies and advice I appreciate it. I will try MajP suggestion.

The spaces in the field names are not by my design...Too many cooks!

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 08:47
you can also try:
Code:
    If DCount("1", "[tblPassed]", "[Customer Part Number] ='" & LArray(0) & "' And " & _
                "[Part Number] = '" & LArray(1) & "' And [Serial Number] = '" & LArray(2) & "'") <> 0 Then
                          MsgBox "SerialNumber is Good"
    Else
        MsgBox "SerialNumber is Bad, please double check"
        Exit Sub
    End If

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 17:47
Dim serial As Variant
serial = DLookup("[Serial Number]", "[tblPassed]", "[Serial Number] ='" & [Forms]![frmValidation]![txtSerial] & "'")
If Not IsNull(serial) Then
Else
MsgBox "Serial Number not found"
End If

Poco_90

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks again for all the suggestions, tried them all and they all worked as expected. Now I am spoilt for choice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom