Do you answer a “Please Do my homework” question? (1 Viewer)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 14:54
I'm building another template and noticed a poster having problems with a audit trail so decided to add one I've used for more years than I really want to admit to lol
That is all well and good as well as being very generous, but as mentioned and seen here, someone will take that and then come back saying 'it doesn't do quite what I want'?
The same really applies with a template. It gives you a head start, but if it does not do exactly what you want, you will need to amend it, and to do that you have to study it to see how it works, before you can make changes.?

Sort of a two edged sword?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:54
Whether or not it's for school or work they might be just looking for a piece of a puzzle.
Not everyone is looking to be efficient in VBA or want to know the difference between ADO and DAO.

They may have been tasked with solving a particular problem. Once the issue is solved they move on with their life.
These members are not going to be here long term, so giving them the answer makes little difference in their learning.

Sometimes you can spot this in their work, they will have ton's of work in the UI and reports but no clue about table normalization. In other words they just need the end results.

deletedT

Local time
@AccessBlaster I think you didn’t get the point. You didn’t answer do you solve their homework or not.
At least tell me what you think about my question in #15.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I think in some cases giving them the answer is okay. There is a well known member who does just that, and he ruffles some feathers around here.

Last edited:

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:54
someone will take that and then come back saying 'it doesn't do quite what I want'
That can be a slippery slope. I think I try to suggest that they put some effort into it if they're simply coming back for more and show no signs that they've even tried to decipher what's going on. Their attempt to utilize what's been given helps too. However, I find that when I try to get them to put some effort into it, there is always someone here (name withheld) that will provide copious amounts of code over and over, which means the OP learns little if anything at all.

If it smells like homework I ask. If they've come right out and said it's homework I'll provide guidance but I refrain from providing the exact answer (at least I do these days). I don't care if they will never code another db in their life. No one did my homework for me, and by doing so, I think you just feed the mentality that's all too prevalent these days. IMO that is "well, I finally managed to put my phone down so I can do my assignment. Let's see where I can find a posted, complete solution". When we had nothing but libraries with encyclopedias and other such books, we learned how to think and apply focused problem solving, not just repeat what someone gave us. I realize there are people who will provide 'home work' for compensation, but I don't recall being either a provider or recipient of that.

EDIT
There is a well known member who does just that
I wonder if we're thinking of the same person. Pretty sure it's not me.

Dreamweaver

Local time
That is all well and good as well as being very generous, but as mentioned and seen here, someone will take that and then come back saying 'it doesn't do quite what I want'?
The same really applies with a template. It gives you a head start, but if it does not do exactly what you want, you will need to amend it, and to do that you have to study it to see how it works, before you can make changes.?

Sort of a two edged sword?

I build them to help learn how to work with accessand as such I keep them as simple as possible It's all open code if thay want to edit it they can there is plenty of help for them to do it if they are willing to have a go themselfs if not they might find it hard.
and to be honest I decided to build a number of them after seeing the nightmare the MS Templates have become.

Sorry didn't meen to hijack this topic

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I think in some cases giving them the answer is okay. There is a well known member who does just that, and he ruffles some feathers around here.
TBH that is their perogative and I feel they know what they are letting themselves in for. :)
On the odd occasion I have supplied some pointers and pretty much knowing that they are going to come back and ask 'Do you have any code to show how' I literally have to go off and find out how myself. :). That is one of those theoretical challenges I mentioned.

Dreamweaver

Local time
I'm the same @Gasman I just added the audit trail after seeing that question, I would add I havent used for a good 15 years and was looking at some of my edits and thought WHY did i do that, so have just improved a very old function :)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
This is one of those multifaceted questions that cannot be answered with a simple yes or no. I remember 15-20 years ago trying to get answers to projects that I was working on, I remember being frustrated trying to explain what my needs were and sometimes being met with very snarky replies.

Not on AWF. :LOL:

This was not a classroom assignments they were work but still very frustrating.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Ya know, there is the issue of whether or not to spoon feed someone for what might be homework, then there's this which I just saw (and see OFTEN)
e.g.

AWF respondent - "You could use Word merge"
OP - "Do you have a link for that?"

Really?? Are you that lazy? If it's because you don't know how to search the internet, then how did you ever find this forum in the first place?
Would the rest of you go and find a link (from among millions) and come back and post it in your answer for something explicit like that?

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Not specific to the homework question, but some newbies generally don't know what they are having trouble with. There is a problem with the terminology; or a concept like "normalization". Many will often use what I call quasi-database/quasi-SQL where they put "sort of terms" in the middle of a post. I think the underlying issue is that many do not know how to problem solve; or use google/bing to find generic solutions, or how to ask a question in simple terms.
Just think of the threads where, after 25 or 30 posts, the concern/questions relate to "what exactly are you trying to accomplish".
Early on I found 2 forums that I felt were "not too interested in helping a newcomer". They had an air about them that they knew something and the new guy didn't and our forum is for "real developers/programmers - not newbies.
Sometimes the newbie/homework person has made an effort and is keen to show his/her work. It's the ones who don't have specific answers; are faced with a 48 hour deadline and haven't had time to do any research, that get suggestions for google searches or youtube videos.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Ya know, there is the issue of whether or not to spoon feed someone for what might be homework, then there's this which I just saw (and see OFTEN)
e.g.

AWF respondent - "You could use Word merge"
OP - "Do you have a link for that?"

Really?? Are you that lazy? If it's because you don't know how to search the internet, then how did you ever find this forum in the first place?
Would the rest of you go and find a link (from among millions) and come back and post it in your answer for something explicit like that?
That is a pet peeve of mine, don't bother looking, just ask here. :(
I know you need the correct search terms, but a few keywords is generally going to get you there.

That is why I end up posting a lot of links. I do not know the answer, but I do know where I could possible find enough to get me started.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:54
I know I get a reputation for being anywhere from "somewhat" to "incredibly" pedantic. However, if I am going to reply at all to what looks like a homework question, I will make it a point to explain my answer in a way to include "lookup" suggestions on how to find more online. I rarely post a lot of code these days, and often it is "air code" for a narrow focus.

I remember back when I had first joined that we got six or seven new members asking about a used-car sales database.. but EVERY ONE of them swore by all that was holy that it was a legit business need. The one I helped admitted it was a class assignment. I hate "smoke blowers" (and I don't have to tell you WHERE that smoke gets blown.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom