Does this structure make sense? Storing IDs from various lists of items. (1 Viewer)

JMongi

Local time
Today, 02:06
Just a quick update. This website has some good information on the topic.

Other parts of the tutorials helped me understand some of what @Pat Hartman was recommending involving FKs with unique indexes. I found the whole series to be particularly useful to sort out in my head some of the assumptions MS Access makes or that is hidden from the user because 99% of the time you don't have to worry about it but might catch you out the first time you fall in that 1%.

In my case, it was eye-opening to see the various options for modelling these exclusive OR scenarios and that referential integrity may not be possible to be enforced even if you can model the relationships successfully. Interesting stuff.

Regarding my particular scenario. I've decided to do a quick detour back to the old planning stage now that I understand ERDs a lot better. I'm going to make sure I have my business rules and ERDs in line so that I can be better informed to weigh the pros and cons of the various methodologies that have already been discussed.

Thanks again for the help. This site has been tremendous. I've incorporated a lot of acknowledgements in the codes and comments for my design. I'm very grateful. I'll post back in this thread if I have any further questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom