Question Error 3183 (1 Viewer)

LinxSystemsMan

Local time
Today, 10:21
The code which is trying to run at the time
dim dbGlobal as database
Set dbGlobal = OpenDatabase(App.path & "\Printer.mdb")

That is the error

3183 The query cannot be completed. Either the size of the query result is larger than the maximum size of a database (2 GB), or there is not enough temporary storage space on the disk to store the query result.

dbGlobal is about 7 megs in size
IT IS NOT RUNNING ANY QUERY THAT WE HAVE BUILT.... IT IS SIMPLY OPENING THE DB.
There is a chance but it is not always the case that the db was compacted and repaired shortly before it was opened (after the pass through the db was made)
The db is compacted after every so often during the day and night.... that is all handled by the code elsewhere.
It is called a print db but essentially is a db processing a print instruction it is not printing a report... db is only being used by the DAO object in Visual Basic (6!!!!!!)

We have rebuilt and re-imported the tables and the db and that has not helped.
From our development logs there has been nothing that was changed on the site.
The error is totally intermittent.
the problem is on a site that has not had this problem before and started happening in the early hours of the morning on 28 October 2012 02:19am... we have very careful logging on the app which runs... that is why we know the time etc

Our theory is that the "query" which is running is a system query OR the temp space is out of space as windows is telling access this.... but not sure how to track that...or clear it... have gone to the temp folder under the user \appdata\local\ and cleared any temp jet files but that did not help not sure what other enviromental variables we can change or look at to see if they have changed.

Did try changing the buffer size but that did not help either.

The machine is a Terminal server (Win 2008 R2 Enterprise)
102 Gigs Free hard drive space
Access 2010 is installed (Ver14.0.476.100) 32 bit

should add the db is actually a 2003 .mdb but the jet/dao is msaccess 2010 (\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\ACEDAO.DLL)

4 gigs ram (when error first happened there was no one actively using the db or server, other than the sessions where our app runs)... might have had some disconnected users
Hardware and windows and office specs have not changed from what we can see looking through the windows logs and from what we know.

We have 3 other access db's which run on the site and perform various functions (one of them is a front end which is actually duplicated to all users so more like 23 dbs) none of the other dbs are reporting this problem BUT none of them are compacted and repaired with the same frequency.

The reason why we compact and repair is that we have in the past found a "true" db bloat problem that the db swelled to 2Gigs and solved the problem with the very regular compact and repair. BUT I would like to emphasis that at the time of this problem the db is about 7megs and we doing nothing but opening the db.... any ideas of what system query might be running at the time the db is opened???

SITE DID NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM BEFORE AND HAS BEEN RUNNING SINCE JULY....

Thanks all for any ideas.

smjones58

Local time
Today, 04:21
Hi, I was wondering if you ever solved this issue? I am having the same problem. I have a program that works perfectly on a windows xp machine but when run it on a win 2008 terminal server I get the "not enough space on temporary disk" error message. Thanks for any light you could shed on this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom