Solved Every procedure has error handling? (1 Viewer)

lacampeona

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:16
Hello experts.
I was just reading someting about ms access and read this

You actually have to set error handling in every procedure

and then start to think that in my database I do not have any error handling?

So my question is that statment true? I have to make for every procedure error handling?

Can someone tell me how I can do that? Maybe some example?

Thank you

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:16
You don’t need error handling in every procedure, just those where errors could occur. Good code will handle potential errors before they can occur

for example checking a value is not null or zero before using it is better code than allowing it to cause an error which you then need to manage with an error handler

lacampeona

Registered User.
Local time
Hi
Ok I see.
So it depends what the code does and what is the purpose?
yes in some cases I have code that if some value is null then msg box and some another action?

my example:
If IsNull(Me.OpombePregledovalec) Then
MsgBox "Pregledovalec- Prosim, če vpišete morebitne opombe oz N/A v polje OpombePregledovalec"
Else
DoCmd.OpenForm "frmKoloneUporabaSignOff"
End If

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yes - that is correct, you are preventing an error from happening rather than handling it after it has occurred

lacampeona

Registered User.
Local time
Ohhh I see and now I undestand what is the purpose of having error handling in the procedure. :unsure:
Ohh Then I was doing right all the time. :)
I have very special database and I am thinking in all possible mistakes that can occur when user will start entering data in the fields.
Thank you very much.
🤗

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You only need error handling if you are not sure if you have covered all possible errors, your example, so far as it goes, isn’t really about handling an error unless the form being opened relies on the value you are testing

lacampeona

Registered User.
Local time
Hello
yes I understand what you mean.
My example is about entering a value in some field.
When opening some forms- here I use some events on forms load event and current event so with this I am preventing possible errors?

lacampeona

Registered User.
Local time
Yes I see
in my case my events disable or enabled some fields on the form so the user can not enter or change data in the field.

amorosik

Local time
On the video you can see that the creation of the error management routine is done entirely by hand
But there are tools to 'add' the error handling routine to an existing procedure very quickly
I personally use MzTool but I think there are other tools that can add error handling instructions to any existing routine
At the cost of only pressing Ctrl-E (and therefore a fraction of a second) or other key combination definable before
From a practical point of view, this routine:

Code:
'-------------------------------------------------------------
Function test()
    Debug.Print
End Function

'by pressing Ctrl-E becomes this:

Function test()
    On Error GoTo eh_test
    Dim Tempo_Ingresso_Routine As Long, Tempo_uscita_Routine As Long
    Tempo_Ingresso_Routine = Timer
    Debug.Print "modGlobRob2-test", "Timer Ingresso = " & Format$(Tempo_Ingresso_Routine, "00000.000")

Debug.Print

Tempo_uscita_Routine = Timer
    Debug.Print "modGlobRob2-test", "Timer Uscita   = " & Format$(Tempo_uscita_Routine, "00000.000") & "  Tempo Impiegato = " & Format$(Tempo_uscita_Routine - Tempo_Ingresso_Routine, "000.000")
    Debug.Print "----------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
    Exit Function

eh_test:
    msg_err err.Number, Erl, "test of Modulo modGlobRob2"
    Resume Next

End Function

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
There's a little known feature of MS Access, and indeed the other VBA supported Microsoft products. You can directly insert text from a text file! You can do this from the Microsoft Access menu as shown in the following video clip:-

In this particular example I have a ready-made a piece of code which I insert. If I create a new function, I have a template which just contains the error handling code. Why? A few years ago I deployed a database application in the Access Runtime environment. It crashed! I just couldn't find out what caused the crash, so I had to go through and add Error checking code to practically every piece of VBA in the database. So now I try and add the error handling code to every function whether it needs it or not. I know this is overkill, but once bitten twice shy!

Function Template:-
Code:
Private Function fXXXXX() As String

Dim conAppName As String
conAppName = "(Replace this Local Variable with a Global One) "

Dim strSubName As String
Dim strModuleName As String

strSubName = "fXXXXX"
strModuleName = "Form - " & Me.Name
'strModuleName = "Module - basModuleName"

On Error GoTo Error_Handler

'Place Code HERE !!!
    'Place Code HERE !!!
    'Place Code HERE !!!

Exit_ErrorHandler:
    'adoCon.Close
    'Set adoCon = Nothing
    'Set adoCmd = Nothing

Exit Function

Error_Handler:  'Version - 1a
    Dim strErrFrom As String
    Dim strErrInfo As String

strErrFrom = "Error From:-" & vbCrLf & strModuleName & vbCrLf & "Subroutine >>>>>>> " & strSubName
        strErrInfo = "" & vbCrLf & "Error Number >>>>> " & Err.Number & vbCrLf & "Error Descscription:-" & vbCrLf & Err.Description

Select Case Err.Number
                Case 0.123 'When Required, Replace Place Holder (0.123) with an Error Number
                    MsgBox "Error produced by Place Holder please check your code!" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & strErrFrom & strErrInfo, , conAppName
                Case Else
                    MsgBox "Case Else Error" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & strErrFrom & strErrInfo, , conAppName
            End Select
        Resume Exit_ErrorHandler

End Function      'fXXXXX

Also available on my website here along with some other code snippets you might find useful.

I also have a set of video clips offering Nifty Access Hints and Tips:-

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:16
Hello
yes I understand what you mean.
My example is about entering a value in some field.
When opening some forms- here I use some events on forms load event and current event so with this I am preventing possible errors?

There is an old saying that I don't hear very often any more: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Perhaps I've outlived those who used to say it? More likely it has been replaced. See later discussion.

While error handler routines are not always hard to code, having an error routine that must undo an SQL action can be daunting, particularly if it would have been possible to prevent the erroneous action with simple tests. If a simple test can prevent a potentially catastrophic recovery effort, why would you NOT make such a test?

We joke a lot about "Murphy's Law" which states "Anything that CAN go wrong WILL go wrong." Nobody ever remembers the last half of the complete quote: "... so make it impossible to go wrong." They forget the quote and the circumstances that led to its original utterance, but we do not forget the principle it espouses. It is this engineering law that brings us shaped connectors that can only be plugged in one way, both with polarized electrical outlets and computer internal connectors with selective bevels or other odd shapes. When Ed Murphy uttered his famous law, software was still in its infancy, but the law echoes throughout our work even today.

In case anyone has forgotten, Ed Murphy was a real person, an engineer at White Sands, New Mexico, USA during some of NASA's early testing of rocket sleds and human endurance. He said those famous words at the meeting after a test in which a human subject suffered a 9-G pullout but the data plugs were backwards - so the test got NO DATA. Those words inspired everyone to look for ways to make things foolproof.

Humans, being even more devilishly ingenious than even Ed Murphy thought, have found ways to defeat "foolproof" precautions, but at least we've thinned the herd of fools in dangerous settings. (Idle thought: Does this mean that we are evolving better fools by culling the herd of the lesser fools?)

ebs17

Local time
Error handling should primarily deal with unexpected errors and states that cannot be checked and offer a suitable exit for them in order to keep the system in a defined and processable state and to give the user an understandable message. Values that are missing or wrong are certainly not unexpected, but something like that can be checked.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:16
When an unhandled error is encountered it will be passed up the call stack until an error handler is found. Only if none is found will the unhandled error be thrown.

As such it is not necessary to put an error handler on every little procedure when they are called by other procedures.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:16
Sometimes something so simple as an NZ function can prevent a small-purpose subroutine from barfing. It's an easy price to pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom