Excel macro language (1 Viewer)

JPFred

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:24
Hi gang. I have returned after a recent illness. Even though this question is not directly access related it does tie into a project I am working on.

Due to limited available of the access db program I am in the process of using access to create and maintain a card catalog database.

The librarian is requesting that I download that main database into an excel worksheet that will be used to lookup information for the students.

I am looking for a reference that will list all functions, commands, etc. that are available in the macro language.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Doc

JPFred

Registered User.
Local time
Unfortunately I only understand English and it seems that the link is in German?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 09:24
Click the translate button at top right

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Why is access to the Access database limited? If the librarian doesn't need to update the data and can live with yesterday's data (which seems to be the case), distribute a static copy of the Access app which can be replaced periodically.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
And why is Excel the librarian's software choice. I think Pat has identified an underlying issue (making a recent list available) that could be solved by various means. (text file, excel, report, html page....)

JPFred

Registered User.
Local time
I agree. It is a tough to try to work within her parameters. The access to access issue comes down to funds. This is a private school that works on a very fixed budget. That is why my grandson's grandfather is writing a workable card catalog system and get them off of the paper cards.

What I am trying to do is use the one license to access that the school has to hold the actual database and periodically download a new spreadsheet to the 5 computers they have. I am trying now to do something in excel to give them some easy lookup functionality. The grade range is from pre-K to 12th so I have all ranges of age groups to deal with.

Wow and I thought I retired 8 years ago :).

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Microsoft has offered a FREE version of the Access runtime for at least 11 years. The runtime version allows the user to "run" an application built by someone else. They can use forms and reports and update data, which is all you ever want your users to do anyway. They cannot create or modify objects.

Therefore, you don't need ANY money to give the users the Access application. They still might need a static version if there is no network and the app needs to be shared. You'll need to tell us more about who the users are doing for us to offer suggestions for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom