Exclusive access error (1 Viewer)

stormin_norm

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:45
I read numerous threads on the "You do not have exclusive access to the database..." error and have a few questions:

I do not want to split the db for the five users.

If I set the users group to read/run access for forms and queries I should never get this error message when I log in as Admin. Agree??
I still get this error message! I have the underlying tables set to insert/update for Users. So therefore, I should not be getting this error message. Right?
Plus..I tried editing a test report and received the same message. Is it because another user has administrator rights??

I remember Pat wrote a comment about access2k will always give you this message when you run shared on a server. Is this true?? Is this why I keep getting this message?

I have to make all fixes tonight and install update by tomorrow morning!

THANKS!
Norm.

Last edited:

Mitch_____W

Mitch
Local time
is there a "your Database Name".idb file present in the same directory as your db? If there is and you don't have the db open then somebody else has it locked. If you can't delete the .idb file then someone has a hung connection with it (seen this before even when user was logged off the connection remained hung)... Try rebooting everyone's computer (including yours) and then open and close the db (w/o the shift key pressed). If this doesn't work then try to delete the .idb file and then open the db...

What OS is the computer you have the db sitting on running? (assuming it is being shared on a network from your comments in your post)

Hope this helps...

stormin_norm

Registered User.
Local time
I tried a simple test--
A new db with default Admins and Users group. No problem opening the db between two computers and able to create new forms or queries while the other is browsing.

I added a user called "testread" to the Users group. No problem modifying objects (as long as the other user wasn't in that form/table).

I altered the permissions on an existing form
From: Users- Open,Read Design, Modify Design, Administrative
To: Users- Open,Read Design

BANG--I could no longer modify or add new forms as Admin or as "testread".
I could, however, add/modify tables or queries. As long as I did not mess with Forms.

Now here is the kicker--- I changed the permissions back for the Users group to Open, Read Design, Modify Design, Administrative for the one form I changed. And still get the same message. "You do not have exclusive access to the database at this time. If you proceed to make changes, you may not be able to save them later."

FYI- I am running Access 2000 SP-3.

I even tried splitting the db. same error message.

Mitch_____W

Mitch
Local time
Remove Admin from the Users group.....

(A side note: I would create another user named something other than Admin and give that user (you) the same permissions as Admin had and then delete Admin)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:45
Mitch_____W said:
Remove Admin from the Users group.....

(A side note: I would create another user named something other than Admin and give that user (you) the same permissions as Admin had and then delete Admin)

A slight difference of opinion here.

1. Make a few new groups (as many as you need) to have access rights according to your requirements. Put your users in these groups.

2. Make the Users group have nearly no rights to anything. You have to leave your users in the Users group but there is no rule that says they have to get any particular rights from that group.

3. Create your new administrative account and put it in the Admins group. Never use the Admin (user) account yourself any more.

4. Put the Admin user in the Users group where it is essentially brain-dead. Don't allow it to be in any other group.

This will trap people who refuse to join the workgroup before opening your database because the default username for the default workgroup is Admin.

stormin_norm

Registered User.
Local time
DocMan - I did exactly as you said. And still get the exclussive lock error.
Although I did move Admin back into the Admins group because I accidently removed administer rights from Users but did not First give administer rights to "newadmin". There is a benefit to being able to bring Admin back into the Admins group ;). I will retest this tonight/tomorrow on my home network.

I noticed something at midnight last night- There were several msaccess.exe's running but no lock file. Mmmm. SP-3 thing? I rebooted but did not have time to try my locktest db. I had to make other changes. I will also test this tonight/tomorrow.

I did notice with my BE/FE database test I received the error also, but it could be from the numerous msaccess.exe runaways. I'll have to test this scenario again and try it with Admin moved out of Admins. The setup: one FE on the network drive and other FE on c:\
When I ran /excl from both computers pointing to their own FE, the error did not appear anymore. But now I'm not sure if it was the /excl or killing the msaccess.exe processes.
More testing tonight or tomorrow morning (I need some sleep :) )

Last edited:

stormin_norm

Registered User.
Local time
Mitch_____W said:
is there a "your Database Name".idb file present in the same directory as your db? If there is and you don't have the db open then somebody else has it locked. If you can't delete the .idb file then someone has a hung connection with it (seen this before even when user was logged off the connection remained hung)... Try rebooting everyone's computer (including yours) and then open and close the db (w/o the shift key pressed). If this doesn't work then try to delete the .idb file and then open the db...

What OS is the computer you have the db sitting on running? (assuming it is being shared on a network from your comments in your post)

Hope this helps...

Mitch- Thanks for the advice. I did not see any lock files, but I did notice numerous msaccess.exe processes running. This may be an Office2kSP-3 bug. I dunno. Seems suspect. I am running Windows2k & Access2k

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom