Expanding Note Field (1 Viewer)

lawman

Local time
Today, 20:18
Hi,

I have a datasheet form with notes field.

How can I expand the notes field when it gets focus, to allow a much larger writing area, with greater height/width then when not in focus.

Preferably, the expanded notes field won't push the datasheet columns to the right, but will just hover over everything.

Thanks

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:18
If you are really in datasheet mode, I'm not sure such a thing is possible to do selectively to a single field for a single record. I could suggest something in a non-datasheet view but what you can do in a datasheet is somewhat limited.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:18
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

What I offer my users is a popup window when they double click on the Notes field. Would that work for you?

lawman

Local time
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

What I offer my users is a popup window when they double click on the Notes field. Would that work for you?
A popup would be okay too if expanding field isn't possible.

I could perhaps place the popup in same starting place as notes field.

What is the solution?

Is it possible to do on focus instead of double click?

Thanks

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:18
Is it possible to do on focus instead of double click?
Of course it's possible. However, I am not sure that's going to be a good idea. Remember, the user has to close the popup window when they're done with it. So, if the popup window shows up simply because the Notes field gets the focus, I think it could get annoying if the user did not intend to edit the Notes data.

lawman

Local time
Of course it's possible. However, I am not sure that's going to be a good idea. Remember, the user has to close the popup window when they're done with it. So, if the popup window shows up simply because the Notes field gets the focus, I think it could get annoying if the user did not intend to edit the Notes data.
I understand.

How to popup on double click?

markdooler

Local time
Try something like:
Code:
Me.Notes.SetFocus
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdZoomBox
This is a great feature!

However, when i double click on my notes section the popup is too tiny to read lol.

Is the size and layout adjustable?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
The font is adjustable in the window.
As is the size, drag the bottom right corner - it should remember whatever you set the lastime you used it.

1616503274540.png

If you need something more complicated you can make your own pop up form that looks like it.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 15:18
If you cannot get this to work, I have a custom zoom box that can be configured to any size. I can post later.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 15:18
Also if you do not want a pop up you could have a main form with two subforms. The first is you datasheet and the second would just be a large note field. Either to the side or below the datasheet. If you set the recordset of the second subform to the first subform then they will be linked. Whatever record is selected in the datasheet is the note displayed. You can edit either one.

markdooler

Local time
The font is adjustable in the window.
As is the size, drag the bottom right corner - it should remember whatever you set the lastime you used it.

View attachment 90208

If you need something more complicated you can make your own pop up form that looks like it.
Thanks for that.

Not quite sure why yet but when i select the font button it just crashes and closes the DB.

markdooler

Local time
Also if you do not want a pop up you could have a main form with two subforms. The first is you datasheet and the second would just be a large note field. Either to the side or below the datasheet. If you set the recordset of the second subform to the first subform then they will be linked. Whatever record is selected in the datasheet is the note displayed. You can edit either one.
Thanks, i actually prefer the pop up option. this works well apart from it crashing lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom