File sizes for upload? (1 Viewer)

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:08
TBH I prefer the blocking of docx , there really isn't a legitimate reason to post one is there? If it's simply a long word doc save it as a pdf, much safer and smaller.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:08
There are Word and Excel forums here. If that's not enough of a reason to allow it, what is?
How would you help someone with their Word vba if all you can get is a pdf file?
How is opening a db with code or autoexec macro any safer that Word or Excel auto macros?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
How would you help someone with their Word vba if all you can get is a pdf file?
You can always zip it.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
You can always zip it.
I was going to give a like to Gasman's suggestion to do that but I got distracted. I have had a long standing agreement to reverse a file extension in emails with someone. If I see piz, cod or slx for example, I know what to do with it.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
We certainly used to allow both Word docs and Excel. Whilst we can still zip them, it would be good to unblock docx & xlsx again

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I'm waiting for information on the safety of these attachments uploaded. Still no replies after 1.5 hours.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Correct me if I'm wrong, but any file you attempt to open that comes from an external source is automatically blocked in Windows - unless perhaps you have disabled protection entirely (in which case you deserve whatever happens)

I'm also thinking that autoexec macros (and in the case of Access, auto-opening form) code won't run because of the above, plus there is always the shift key on open.
In fact I don't think Word or Excel has a shift bypass property, which kind of suggests that you can't disable it, which means Access is actually more dangerous because you can disable it.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I'm waiting for information on the safety of these attachments uploaded. Still no replies after 1.5 hours.
Waiting for info from whom?
FWIW docs & xlsx are a lot safer than the old doc & xls formats

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Xenforo forum. They have a default list of files that are uploadable and may have reasons for not listing other common file formats.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
There are Word and Excel forums here. If that's not enough of a reason to allow it, what is?
How is opening a db with code or autoexec macro any safer that Word or Excel auto macros?
Yes you're right, short response from me and short of thought.
Must be beer o'clock, especially as the sun is shining. ☀🍺

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I am operating from the perspective that I don't know what I don't know. Best to be prudent first, rather than potentially regret it later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom