Finding Duplications (1 Viewer)

Craft

Local time
Today, 08:37
When I go to add new contact people in my database I have to search to see if this person is already in my database so that I don't get duplications. Is there a way to go to add new records and then when I type in the last name it automatic checks for duplications and pops up the results. If there is a duplication I would like to click on the name and go to that record otherwise go back to adding new record. I enter thousands of names a day and this would save alot of time. I work for a non profit company so we can't afford expense programs. Can someone help?

pcs

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:37
if last name is in a field of its own, you could just use a combo box to select it...

hth,
al

Craft

Local time
That would be great, except I have 20,000 records. I need something that will narrow it down. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

D

D B Lawson

I have a little sample that I use which, after the user enters the surname and postcode for the contact, if it finds a match it opens up a little pop-up form and if it is a match, it undo's the current record, if it's different, it lets them continue with the entry. You could adapt that. Email me and let me know if you have A2K and I'll send you what I've got. It's not infallible, but it does help

pcs

Registered User.
Local time
20,000 ! oh my....

i have done some retail apps. with 15,000 or so and last name just won't cut it for speed. do you have any other fields you could use in combination with the name, the last 4 digits of phone number, zip code, anything?

al

[This message has been edited by pcs (edited 08-12-2001).]

Craft

Local time
Yes, it's a donor database. I have FirstName, LastName, Company, Address, City, St. Zip, Work Phone, Home Phone, E-mail, ect.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

pcs

Registered User.
Local time
i have found in the past that the last 4 digits of phone will really narrow down a customer list. i don't think a combo box will give you all the control you might want.

on the main form i would put 2 unbound text controls;
1 customerlastname
2 lastFourPhone

(this kind of assumes, all your customers have a phone, if not you might add an optional zip code)

i would create a query that had an expression for the last 4 digits of phone, and any other fields that will help identify the correct customer, address,etc. and reference the critera to the above 2 controls on your main form. i would then create a popup continuous form (disable edits, etc) that enabled you to select the correct customer (a command button, double-click, whatever). on select you could pass the customer id back to your main form, and maybe requery it.

this might get you started...

hth,
al

[This message has been edited by pcs (edited 08-12-2001).]

Craft

Local time
I'll try It, and let you know how it works.

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom