Flaw on holiday booking website (1 Viewer)

Groundrush

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:11
So there I am booking a well needed family holiday, two adults and one child.

Enter names, ages, etc. Make payment and then wait for email confirmation. All is well.

Next day I print off the flight details, hotel booking, insurance etc but then notice that my 5 year old has the name of Guest3 :confused:

I then look at the flight info and insurance, same there :confused:

Next day I phone up to explain the problem and to correct the error but to my shock was told that to change the name I have to pay £73.50 :eek:

How can that be?
I did not enter the name "guest3" so why should I pay to make the correction?

I am told that it was my fault as I did not change the default name guest3 to my sons name :confused:

I have now put a complaint in asking for a refund and to remove the default setting of GUEST in the name fields from their website booking form so other customers do not fall for their money making tactics

It's disgusting that this company should be allowed to get away with this.

The system should not allow customers to progress further until all required fields are filled in. Because the system has the default setting it thinks that the passengers name is actually "GUEST3" so proceeds with the order

How ridiculous is that?

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
Not being a j3rk, but did you enter your sons name in the field and confirmed the same before making the payment?

What is the airlines you dealt with?

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
What is the airlines you dealt with?

Yes what site was it.

They should fix it , and reimburse you I agree.

It shouldn't allow the default through and then charge you to fix it. Name names!

I have heard a complaint to the org on facebook/twitter is the way to go nowadays!

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 02:11
Sounds like a very shady site indeed. Was it a third party site?

Groundrush

Registered User.
Local time
The site is called Travel Republic.co.uk

I initially had problems with the website when making the booking and had to restart over once or twice so its likely that I missed off my sons name on the third guest field on my last attempt

My argument is that the applicant names should not be defaulted to Guest but be left empty then prevent applicant from progressing further until all fields are completed.
Because these fields have default values if the applicant fails to notice this the system thinks that your name is Guest and allows you to proceed

My other argument is that the documentation emailed to me after booking clearly states
"Please check that all names, dates are correct on receipt of all documents and advise us any errors within two days of receiptof your documents by contacting our Customer Support department.

I first made contact to make the correction 24 hours after via email but then phoned up the following morning and was told that I had missed the 24 hour deadline and had to pay the £73.50 for the airline to make the name change.

When I mentioned the fact that I have 2 days to advise of errors I was then told that it would have been OK if I only had to change a few letters not the whole name :confused:

What is that about? do they charge by the letter or something?

Anyway I have sent a complaint to their complaints dept explaining this and also disputed my paypal payment so hopefully the payment will be put on hold until this is resolved.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
The site is called Travel Republic.co.uk

I initially had problems with the website when making the booking and had to restart over once or twice so its likely that I missed off my sons name on the third guest field on my last attempt

My argument is that the applicant names should not be defaulted to Guest but be left empty then prevent applicant from progressing further until all fields are completed.
Because these fields have default values if the applicant fails to notice this the system thinks that your name is Guest and allows you to proceed

My other argument is that the documentation emailed to me after booking clearly states
"Please check that all names, dates are correct on receipt of all documents and advise us any errors within two days of receiptof your documents by contacting our Customer Support department.

I first made contact to make the correction 24 hours after via email but then phoned up the following morning and was told that I had missed the 24 hour deadline and had to pay the £73.50 for the airline to make the name change.

When I mentioned the fact that I have 2 days to advise of errors I was then told that it would have been OK if I only had to change a few letters not the whole name :confused:

What is that about? do they charge by the letter or something?

Anyway I have sent a complaint to their complaints dept explaining this and also disputed my paypal payment so hopefully the payment will be put on hold until this is resolved.

I think I have used them - thought they were fairly big and reputable - maybe not - have you tried the facebook route?

They should resolve that for you in they were being fair. Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Groundrush

Registered User.
Local time
I think I have used them - thought they were fairly big and reputable - maybe not - have you tried the facebook route?

They should resolve that for you in they were being fair. Good luck - let us know how you get on.

I'm waiting for their response to my complaint first before I name and shame on fb

I spoke to Paypal & they have agreed to support me on my dispute case for the payment they took out.

Incidentally I also found out that they had a billing agreement to to use my paypal account without any action from me

I have now cancelled this so no further payments can be made using PayPal

Doing some research I have found some complaints where on arriving at their destination there were no trace of their bookings so had book into another hotel etc.

Also seen some where they had to change names on tickets and paid for this but on checking in at the airport they then find out that the errors were not corrected.

I have gone over all the documents after the correction & had to phone back a couple of times today on finding out that they still had not corrected the name on the travel insurance.

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
I'm old school... I prefer going into a Travel Agent and speaking to a person...

I went to Lanzarote in February of this year, I looked up the prices online at different travel sites, Travel Republic included, and then went into the Travel Agents, and asked them to match this price, I got to within £50 of the online price, and had the added bonus of Guarantees all covered by the agent for the Flights, Hotel and Transfers...

Most online travel sites, book all these holiday elements independently and you have only recourse with each independent if things go wrong...

Groundrush

Registered User.
Local time
This is the reply I got today

All they have done is researched what I had complained about then repeated what I already told them as though they have agreed with me but then claimed that it's not their fault :confused:

Thank you for your email received on the 25/06/2014
From the outset, please allow me to apologise for any upset or inconvenience caused, in regards to your recent flight arrangements.
I understand from your complaint that you experienced problems the way in which your data was entered. You have stated that this caused you significant inconvenience and you are consequently disappointed with the service received.
Upon investigation it would appear that when inputting the data, the auto fill on the computer has initiated the typographical error. I have checked this extensively with our IT Support Team and our Quality Control Team whom have both looked at the booking audit and confirmed this.
With regards to the PayPal issue, our Accounts Team have confirmed this charge back issue is now resolved, and the dispute was regarding the charges incurred for amendment.
As there is no error on the part of Travel Republic, unfortunately I would be unable to take this case any further.
I am sorry for any dissatisfaction this may cause you.
Customer service is extremely important to Travel Republic and if there is an occasion when our service does not meet our customers’ expectations, it is important that we are made aware of this. I am particularly grateful for the time and trouble you have taken to make us aware of your experience. Your comments will be made available to the business areas that caused you to raise your concerns as they will help minimise the chances of similar incidents arising in the future.
In closing, I thank you for taking the time to contact us, and for bringing these important issues to our attention.

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
So your browser Autofilled the "guest3" as the value? Really? They are so screwed up. If you took it through Facebbok as Anthony suggested this would have come with a different outcome ! Sorry for that Groundrush.

Groundrush

Registered User.
Local time
So your browser Autofilled the "guest3" as the value? Really? They are so screwed up. If you took it through Facebbok as Anthony suggested this would have come with a different outcome ! Sorry for that Groundrush.

Yeh, when I first read the response I thought that things were going my way
until they said it was not their fault.

Reading it again I was then not sure as to who's computer they were referring too, surely they can't mean my computer :confused:
the auto fill on the computer has initiated the typographical error.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time

Can you facebook it publicly and share the address here - is that technically possible - forget how fb works.
You can always threaten a small claims court action see where that gets you.

No good customer service though, puts me off using them.

Groundrush

Registered User.
Local time
Paypal is still withholding the money but I only have till the 15th before it will be cancelled in favour of the seller. I can escalate it to whereby PAYPAL will intervene but I fear that this may cause Travel Republic to somehow disrupt or cancel the holiday if not resolved before our departure.
I'm being forced to pay under protest because they have me by the short & curlys.
If I give in then I am unable to dispute it a second time after we get back

Groundrush

Registered User.
Local time
There seems to be many complaints about them online

They are probably good at what they do most of the time but when things go wrong you are screwed!

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
You can still dispute it after the holiday.

The 2 day rule at the very least means you should have got the name change for free? Doesn't it.

Threaten small claims court. Report them to Abta or whoever.

Groundrush

Registered User.
Local time
I have just gone online as a new customer and proceeded to book a holiday to see if I could replicate what had happend.

The weird thing is that I now suspect that they have corrected the glitch I was complaining about because it now does not allow you to proceed further without filling in all the names.

It now does what I would expect, ie highlight everything in red with a warning message preventing you from progessing.

Funny how I did not get this error protection first time round.

Groundrush

Registered User.
Local time
Paypal is fantastic :cool:

We have concluded our investigation into your Buyer Claim.

Seller's Name: Travel Republic Ltd

Transaction Date: 24 Jun 2014
Transaction Amount: -73.50 GBP

You have received a refund via PayPal in the amount of 73.50 GBP.

Yours sincerely,

Protection Services Department

I am happy for the result but because of the trouble we had with this company I do have a bad feeling about this booking and although I have paid in full it would not surprise me if they did something to sabotage our holiday at the end of this month.

I warn others who may use Travel Republic to be very careful because when it goes wrong you have no chance unless you have the payment protection that I did.

It's only because I made payment with PAYPAL that I was able to get a quick resolution.

Thank You PayPal :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom