Food Miles etc (1 Viewer)

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 04:00
In answer to the original question - I personally wouldn't spend more for something just because its food miles were less. All other things being equal - then OK.

But I guess in lots of cases I would have to buy what Tesco , M&S supply unfortunately. M&S is an interesting case for the past 30 years plus its advertised itself on it huge food miles - flown in fresh everyday. I know they started to move away from this recently.

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
i try to buy farmers market stuff that way it is low on the miles-- however a bit price, I must admit I advocate one style but acutally buy 90+ percent from Sainsbury's

a bit two faced of me I know - should do more

I do try and grow as many fresh veg as possibe - which kinda does reduce the carbon foot print - but te end effect I expect is very little (But good for my daughter to know what fresh veg looks like and where it comes from)

mamandeno

Dabbler in Access
Local time
Today, 23:00
I am with you on those fresh veges Gary,

Our house is on 1 acre (0.4 Ha) of land and I have dedicated 25% of this to food production. About half fruit and the rest veges.

This time of year is fantastic, fresh zuchinnis/courgettes, tomatoes, basil, egg plant, chilli's, red onions, coriander. It really is better just picked.

My next project is aquaponics which is a system combining small scale freshwater fish farming and hydroponics.

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:00
I don't understand your post is it sarcasm, the US comes 39th and is twice as bad as the UK. Sure it produced a lot to offset it emissions on this calculation. So excessive production and consumption helps out the US's figures here.

If we didn't count over production and consumption as a good thing then The US would be even further down the table.
It was not comparing the US to the UK, that is one point. The other is according to GSP, the US is not as bad as Rich pretends. And the UK is not as good as Rich makes us assume.

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:00
Hummm, I was just thinking.
The US could reduce it's emissions per person (as Rich likes to point out) and also reduce the food miles (who thought of that stupid term anyway). The US just needs to stop producing food for the rest of the world. That way we could reduce our emissions and reduce food miles all in one. :rolleyes:

R

Rich

The US could reduce it's emissions per person (as Rich likes to point out) and also reduce the food miles (who thought of that stupid term anyway). The US just needs to stop producing food for the rest of the world. That way we could reduce our emissions and reduce food miles all in one. :rolleyes:

You could stop taking everybody's oil too :rolleyes:
Your country is responsible for 25% of the world carbon emissions, do you know how much of that figure is down to your armed forces?

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
The US just needs to stop producing food for the rest of the world. That way we could reduce our emissions and reduce food miles all in one.

Thats the aim yes - more farming done locally and better for the environment.

So the environment would gain - and the US farmers could relieve themseleves of the burden and profit that they currently suffer selflessly supplying the world with food - and local farmers could help with this onerous task.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom