Football Fixture Lists (1 Viewer)

cunnie76

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:51
Can someone please please help?

I am trying to create 2 databases (1) One for a football league, and (2) One for a football 'Cup' competition.

My problem is this;

How can I automatically generate fixture lists.

Example; if there are 8 teams in the league - how can I get the computer to create a fixture list over 7 weeks automatically so that teams always play a different team each week?
(What happens if it is a league of 12 or 6?)

Also; for the 'Cup' competition I want the computer to automatically create a draw - example; There will be 8 mini leagues - the top 2 from each league will go through to the 'knockout stages' which the computer will create. - i.e. Winner Group A will play Runner Up C etc.

You could save my bacon!

Thanks,

Bob

Can someone please help?

Ally

Registered User.
Local time
Please don't post multiple posts. You only need to post it once under the relevant section and if you're patient, someone will answer.

cunnie76

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry - I wanted to make sure I captured the widest audience.

Can you help by the way?

Ally

Registered User.
Local time
Unfortunately I don't think I can. What you're going to probably need is to do it all via VBA. I think you'll need to loop through the recordset to place fixtures against the teams and code isn't my strong point. There's a vast wealth of knowledge on this forum and if someone in this time zone can't help, just wait a few hours and someone else will! :)

R

Rich

There have been examples posted here of fixture lists, try the search facility

DALIEN51

Registered User.
Local time
Try This Methodolgy ...

I think the easiest method for 20 teams is.....

20 teams will create 19 rounds of matches or 38 if they play each other twice. Split the teams into 2 groups of ten teams each. For the first 10 rounds of matches group1 teams play group 2 teams and thus you can alternate these home and away so after the first 10 rounds of games everyone will have played 5 home matches and 5 away matches...

Then sub divide group1 into 2 groups of 5 teams...group A and group B
also sub divide group2 into 2 groups of 5 teams group C and group D
for the next 4 rounds of matches group A teams play group B teams and group C teams play group D teams again you can alternate home and away exactly so after 14 rounds of games each team will be axactly on 7 home games and 7 away games. The reason you only play 4 rounds and not 5 is that now group A teams will have to play each other (likewise group B, C & D) and thus with an odd number of teams the "spare" team within a group will have to have a match left against the opposite group (A-B & C-D) so they dont have a vacant match in that round!...hope your still with me...

So arrange each of the round of matches for the 5 teams in each group so that the "spare" team in each set of groups (A-B & C-D) are the ones yet to play each other.

When completed for all 19 rounds hey presto! If your playing twice simply copy the table to itself reversing the home and away teams and incrementing the round number of date as appropraite...

Hope this helps..

NEIL ADCOCK

icrashin

Local time
Today, 20:51
Knockout

Hi,

I will put the disclaimer that this is my first time to post to a site. I usually resolve my problems by banging my head against a brick wall until I get through it, or work a way around. so I shall say sorry in advance if I break any conventions, it is not my aim to annoy.

So it is probably not the best start to pick up an old thread, however, in following this thread through the initial question has not been fully answered as far as I can see. Clearly the league fixtures side of the question is answered. This is something I had already mastered, but by no means with the quality of code given via this site.

So the remaining question is how to create a knockout 'Cup' tournament. My specific issue is that I am unsure how to create both a form (for screen viewing and results input) and report (to print to hard copy) to cater for a knockout that may vary in size.

i.e. if there were four players it would look like ..

Player 1
...................Winner - Player 1
Player 2

............................................ Winner - Player 4

Player 3
....................Winner - Player 4
Player 4

obviously this would need to change for differing numbers of players.

Any pointers a how to represent this data without have to hard code and select different reports would be greatly appreciated. If this is not clear and you require clarification please let me know.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom