Form button works for some but not others (1 Viewer)

105tt

Local time
Today, 04:13
Hi,
I have an mdb database that has a form with a button on it. It is used by a handful of people and the button does what it’s supposed to do when clicked- open another form. The weird thing is that while it works for everyone, it doesn’t work for one person. I am thinking this is a Trust Center setting? However I tried checking the macro setting and it is enabled and the trust doc is enabled and the trust location has been added and looks correct also. Could there be some other reason??

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:13
Long time since I've used .mdbs but from what I recall they do not use trust centres (hadn't been invented back then)

Is it just this one button? or is other functionality affected as well?

You say it is a .mdb - what is the access version (year and bitness) being used? and are all users on the same version?

I presume your app is split and each user has their own copy of the front end on their local machine?

Have you compact/repaired?

And have you gone to the users machine and stepped through the button code? - if it is a .mdb then the user can go into design view of forms and may have removed the event call or modified the code, perhaps by accident.

105tt

Local time
Upon opening the database there is a menu form with a few buttons on it. That menu form loads for him but when he clicks on any of the buttons, nothing happens. No error, nothing.

Not sure on the version and bit of the database. I also am not sure if the database is split but I do knwo that everyone has a copy on their local machine to use. (I didn’t build the database. I just became the troubleshooter.) I’ll have to check tomorrow.
So with .mdb, does everyone have to be on the same version of access/bit?

I did try compacting the database today but have not tried with the user again yet to see if that worked.

I have not tried to step through the button code with the user yet. That is a great idea. I will try that.
Thanks for your reply! Please let me know if you think of anything else and if you can clarify whether all users need to be on the same version of access, that would be great. Thanks!!

SHANEMAC51

Local time
Today, 14:13
The weird thing is that while it works for everyone, it doesn’t work for one person.
perhaps there is a line on error ...., but in TOOLS there is a check mark stop for all errors
it is necessary to stop for unprocessed errors

Attachments

• у0223гр12.png
    у0223гр12.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 237

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Take a copy from another machine and try that. Make backups first!

Considering it's a menu system with buttons, it could be the menu build by the Microsoft Access wizard. The wizard needs a table usually called "switchboard" make sure that that table is available...

A common problem is people will change the name of the switchboard from switchboard to tblSwitchboard.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
So with .mdb, does everyone have to be on the same version of access/bit?
mdb's will only work with 32bit access, it shouldn't matter which version but from (I think) access 2016 they won't run 97 and earlier versions of .mdb

I also am not sure if the database is split
If you are providing support, you really need to know this. It is easy to check - if the tables are linked then it is split.

If it is multi user then the back end (the db that holds the tables) will be on a server somewhere and everyone will be connected to it via the linked tables

105tt

Local time
The database is not split. I am going to run through all of these suggestions from everyone to troubleshoot. Will let everyone know!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:13
When a single user has the problem, there are two issues that come to mind.

1. User's permissions on the shared folder don't match everyone else

From a machine that works and the one that doesn't, (i.e. do this once per machine) select (but don't launch) the .MDB file. Right-click, then Properties >> Security >> Advanced Security and see "effective permissions" so you can compare them.

2. User's references (which are individual, part of the machine's registry) are incorrect or damaged

In the VBA code window, follow Tools >> References and scroll through the list of checked references. (Access always shows the checked references first.) The use with issues might have EITHER fewer references OR may have a damaged, broken, or missing reference.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The database is not split.
you really need to resolve this. The recommended method is to split with the BE on the server and each user has their own copy of the FE on their local drive. If you don't you are asking for trouble. The fact it hasn't happened yet is pure luck. Perhaps what you are seeing is the start of a problem. Make sure you have backups

Besides which - how are you going to make changes? After everyone else has gone home?

105tt

Local time
Checked everything and the only thing that seems like the issue may be is that he has 64bit.. he’s going to have IT install 32bit and hopefully that resolves the issue!

And yes I agree database should be split. That is how I design my databases for users, but this one is not one of mine… I was just asked to help see why this user isn’t able to click into any buttons within the forms.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Well I would have waked through the code as a test at least on the errant PC.
How does the data get from one user's DB to anothers?

105tt

Local time
The problem was the bit… after he installed 32bit, it worked!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom