Form import woes (1 Viewer)

JC10001

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:04
Hi there,

I have two versions of a database going right now. One of them is a live version and the other is a development version. I am making changes to the development version and then importing the forms with the changes made into the live version.

I've run into a strange phenomenon. I sort the list and combo boxes of those forms in the development version by a particular variable but when I import those same forms into the live version (and overwrite the originals) it doesn't sort them. However, if I open up the imported form in design mode and then just click and move the the list/combo box a pixel in any direction, then close the design view without saving and then look at the form again it magically sorts everything correctly even though I didn't save any changes.

I think this all has something to do with a cache or refreshing issue but I can't be sure and I haven't been able to find links about it anywhere else. Has anyone here experienced this before? Do you remember what you did to fix it so that the list/combo boxes are correct when you import them without having to click on those boxes in design mode?

Last edited:

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:04
Never had the problem but here are some suggestions.

Instead of importing the object... just copy and paste it from the dev copy to the live copy.

Try using the undocumented SaveAsText and LoadFromText methods. Here is some sample code I posted... Export All Database Objects Into Text Files

Are the combo boxes populated with SQL or list values? I prefer SQL since you have more options like setting the sort order.

Also, if you are using Access 2000 or newer then nobody but you can be in the database when you are making changes to it.

JC10001

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:04
ghudson said:
Never had the problem but here are some suggestions.

Instead of importing the object... just copy and paste it from the dev copy to the live copy.

Try using the undocumented SaveAsText and LoadFromText methods. Here is some sample code I posted... Export All Database Objects Into Text Files

Are the combo boxes populated with SQL or list values? I prefer SQL since you have more options like setting the sort order.

Also, if you are using Access 2000 or newer then nobody but you can be in the database when you are making changes to it.

I am populating the combo boxes with a simple SQL select statement. Something like "SELECT table.var1, table.var2, table.var3 FROM table ORDER BY table.var3".

I am using Access 2002 and I have exclusive access. What's weird is that every other aspect of the form that was changed (like the layout and the code) except for the ordering of the combo and list boxes (even though the SQL code for these combo and list boxes includes the "order by" statement).

I tried copying and pasting but that didn't work. I also tried the SaveAs/LoadFrom method and the same issue remains. It makes no sense to me. I really appreciate your help though. If you have any other ideas please post them. Thanks so much.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom