Form open/close transitions (1 Viewer)

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 05:05
So the other day I was finishing up the latest version of my database, I decompiled, compacted, compiled, saved, compacted, and saved as accde. This is my usual routine because it irons out some bugs and makes things pretty snappy.

I ended up with those smooth open/close window transitions that newer operating systems have. I never had them before, and I don't know if it's something I did.

The next time I opened the database, they were gone again. Windows open/close in a flash without such a transition. It's quick but it seems unpolished and slightly flickery at times.

This is on my work computer with Windows 10 and Access 2016. On my home computer, I seem to have the smooth transitions (same OS and Office versions).

Does anyone know what controls or causes this?

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
what do you mean by this?
smooth open/close window transitions
and this?:
The next time I opened the database, they were gone again. Windows open/close in a flash without such a transition
something's wrong inside of access that has to do with the object windows? that's all that can be gathered from that.

zeroaccess

Local time
what do you mean by this?and this?:something's wrong inside of access that has to do with the object windows? that's all that can be gathered from that.
Have you ever compared how windows open between an OS like Windows 2000/XP and a modern one like Windows 10, MacOS, etc? Transitions are an appearance feature, usually GPU accelerated.

They apply to Office as well, except for some reason my DB is struggling with them on the work computer. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what could contribute to this. I'll investigate more when I get to work.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
got it. and probably not. seems like something I've never run into.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 11:05
Unlike e.g. PowerPoint there is no support for transitions in Access.
There is a Use Animations setting in Access options but that doesn't have the effect you're describing.
It is possible to add animation effects in Access but this generally requires a lot of code - it doesn't just 'happen'

It is possible to temporarily switch off screen repainting to prevent flickering but again that's not going to provide any transition effect.
So I'm baffled as to what you are describing having seen

zeroaccess

Local time
Unlike e.g. PowerPoint there is no support for transitions in Access.
There is a Use Animations setting in Access options but that doesn't have the effect you're describing.
It is possible to add animation effects in Access but this generally requires a lot of code - it doesn't just 'happen'

It is possible to temporarily switch off screen repainting to prevent flickering but again that's not going to provide any transition effect.
So I'm baffled as to what you are describing having seen
I'm not talking about animations provided by or within Access - it is provided by the operating system on window open and close events.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 11:05
But you're saying they briefly occurred within Access????? Then went away again???

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:05
Hmm, wondering if this is more hardware related than Windows\Office related?

zeroaccess

Local time
Hmm, wondering if this is more hardware related than Windows\Office related?
I have confirmed that it only happens on the work computer. Even though they both run Windows 10, all appearance options are the same, etc, for some reason there is a difference and I'm not sure what is causing it. It certainly would be nice to get to the bottom of it and get that smoothness working. I'll report back if I figure it out.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:05
Are both versions of Office the same Build Number?

zeroaccess

Local time
After further testing, I have been unable to determine the cause, but my first guess would be a lack of GPU acceleration on the work machines. Office 2013 enabled window animations, but it needs hardware acceleration from a GPU.

At any rate, the database is fast and that is what matters most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom