Form to subform communication (1 Viewer)

Randomblink

The Irreverent Reverend
Local time
Yesterday, 21:45
Ok...
I have two tables that have related information. In one table I store all of the data concerning work projects. In the other table, it holds contract ammendments concerning those projects. I have the two tables related by a field called [PROJKEY]. In the main table (BASPROJINFO) the [PROJKEY] is an Autonumber that increments as each project is added, this identifies each project with a number ONLY the database knows and stores. In the other table (CTRCAMD) the [PROJKEY] is a simple text field.
I have two different forms I use to imput information. One forms is for NEW ONLY. No editing allowed. It is set with DataEntry to YES. This form has a subform to the (CTRCAMD) table so that as I enter a new project, if there are already some ammendments I can enter them then. The other form I created is a duplicate of this form, except it has a lookup field, and is NOT set to DataEntry.
The EDIT form works fine, I can input new or add contract ammendments no problem. The other form, for NEW ONLY, when I get to the subform part and want to add some ammendments, the form is empty, no blank fields for adding. And since this is a the first entry of this project information, it can't even reference previous ammendments. It just sits there blank...no fields.
Can someone point out what is wrong? Right now if I want to put ammendments into a project, I have to finish the data entry form and then open the edit form and drop them in there??? ARGH!
Should I just remove my subforms from the NEW ONLY form and deal with only inputting contract ammendments in the EDIT form? Or is there a solution? HELP ME!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:45
I hope you meant that CTRCAMD.PROJKEY is a plain NUMERIC field (field size = long integer), not text.

You only need a single form. If you want the user to specify add/update/or view mode before entering the form, look up the OpenForm Method and see how to specify the datamode as the form opens. This will allow you to maintain a single object but have it work differently in different situations.

Make sure that the master/child links defined on the main form are correct. It sounds like they are not for your current "add only" version.

Randomblink

The Irreverent Reverend
Local time
Yeah, NUMERIC field...er, that's what I said. (cough cough) So, anyway...
I have the masterlinks setup just right. Same as for the other form. And I am sure I could make it one form, BUT, on the EDIT form, I have a DropDownComboBox to search through all inputted projects. I wouldn't want that there for the NEW ONLY form, wouldn't it confuse the database?
Grrr, I used to think I was database savvy...now, I feel like going crazy!

But to pester you some more. IF I did have a SINGLE form, could I set the combobox to turn invis whenever I opened it from my menu?

You see, the ONLY difference between the two forms, is that on the NEW ONLY form, I have a ListBox that lets the user select whether the project being inputted is a CITY or CONTRACT project. When the user selects the desired one, there are several fields and pages that disappear, as well as other subforms that link to other tables.

- I just went in, created a duplicate database, and started screwing with the buttons and forms. I took the EDIT form, and created a button to ADD NEW RECORD. It said it couldn't jump to specific record. Im betting because I have the subform in it. It is linked the right way, but for some reason it just won't start a new record in my subform! ARGH!

Randomblink

The Irreverent Reverend
Local time
I figured it out!
Thank you thank you...
I had set the AllowEdits to NO.
This locked up my darn subforms and everything!!! YIPPEEEE!
Now I got it figured out...thank you all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom