Forms being bonkers?? (1 Viewer)

IstyDawn

Local time
Today, 02:59
Sorry I couldn't think of a better thread title... I have around 80 front end files for different users at different facilities, each with a 2019 and 2020 database per facility location. Users at one of the facilities needed a department added to a combo box on a form where they create a new record. Usually when I go in to their front ends to make the changes I need to do it to each of their individual files. I started by updating the form each 2020 database for the users and then went in to do their 2019's.... but they were done?!?! I know I have not had much coffee today but HOW did it do that? I have done numerous updates to the forms and it has always required me to do them individually per database. Is this a normal thing? I mean it is awesome but I need to know how it worked because it saved me so much time. I can't provide much more info because the databases contain PHI so I am restricted in sharing.

Example
Each user has their own folder with up to around 10 front ends. The only things linked in the databases are the tables to the back end files, everything else is local.

Plaza 2020 - I updated this one
Plaza 2019 - this one updated itself????
South 2020
South 2019
East 2020
East 2019

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:59
Hi. Are you sure you're not updating the records in a linked table? Do all the users have their own copy of the FE on the local machine?

IstyDawn

Local time
Yes- I am doing the update straight to the form itself. On this form they only use it when entering a record that does not currently exist in the table. The form has a drop down restricting them to only select from a handful of departments where this would occur. Their normal form the information is populated for them and they cannot modify it. In the table where the information goes it is just a text field. On the form the row source for the combo box is a Value list and gave it the values that I wanted them to have. Yes all users have their own copies of each FE that they use.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yes- I am doing the update straight to the form itself. On this form they only use it when entering a record that does not currently exist in the table. The form has a drop down restricting them to only select from a handful of departments where this would occur. Their normal form the information is populated for them and they cannot modify it. In the table where the information goes it is just a text field. On the form the row source for the combo box is a Value list and gave it the values that I wanted them to have. Yes all users have their own copies of each FE that they use.
Value List, huh? The only reason I could think that would cause an auto update is if the data is somehow coming from a shared source. However, comboboxes are know to have some quirks. If you go to my blog site and search for "gremlins," you will see what I mean.

Sent from phone...

IstyDawn

Local time
Value List, huh? The only reason I could think that would cause an auto update is if the data is somehow coming from a shared source. However, comboboxes are know to have some quirks. If you go to my blog site and search for "gremlins," you will see what I mean.

Sent from phone...
Thank you! I will take a look! I am more than happy if it wants to do the work for me I just can't figure out how it did it since 2019 and 2020 have different BE's... Although each of the users with a FE Plaza 2019 share the same BE... Maybe when I updated one of them it decided to do the rest? I don't know but hey it works :)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thank you! I will take a look! I am more than happy if it wants to do the work for me I just can't figure out how it did it since 2019 and 2020 have different BE's... Although each of the users with a FE Plaza 2019 share the same BE... Maybe when I updated one of them it decided to do the rest? I don't know but hey it works :)
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom