Freddy Mercury & Elvis (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:55
I recently read an article that said Freddie Mercury wrote and Elvis Presley tribute in 10-minutes while sat in the bath.

What a load of rubbish!

It might have been months or even years that Freddie was thinking about the tribute, and yes he probably did bash it out quickly once he'd sorted it out in his head. But it takes days and sometimes months to sort things like this out, exactly the same as when you run into a particular programming problem.

You need time to ruminate and then Wham you just program away and you've got the solution! Someone watching you might say your a programming genius, but you know, and I know it's the time spent in between, when you're gardening, washing-up, having a bath whatever and then inspiration hits you.

That article was clickbait just like mine! So you have to give it a bit of kudos for getting me to click on it!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 09:55
Apologies for making this about me but your words are spot on...

It reminds me about one of, if not my first question(s) on this forum. The "epiphany" came to me while I was mowing my lawn. It also set the tone for how I viewed this forum. I was a little put out at first with Spike - why not just TELL me what the hell this issue is??!?

...BUT...

Because Spike pointed me in the right direction and forced me to think about it, I'll NEVER forget the lesson about quotes and strings...

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Lovely post you linked to.

Seeing the post by vbInet, I miss him! Now, there was a man who knew his stuff, a load more than MajP and gracious with it. ...

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
No longer with us or simply moved on?

He pops in for a look around occasionally, according to "last visit" dates.

But I haven't exchanged messages with him for 3 or 4 years, I guess.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:55
It might have been months or even years that Freddie was thinking about the tribute, and yes he probably did bash it out quickly once he'd sorted it out in his head. But it takes days and sometimes months to sort things like this out, exactly the same as when you run into a particular programming problem.
Sometimes stuff just flows from composers.

Ed Sheeran watched the Hobbit movie, wrote the theme song, "I See Fire", and recorded it on one morning.

David Paich from Toto wrote the lyrics for the chorus in Africa in ten minutes and sang them from the outset pretty much exactly as they were recorded.

The lyrics to the verses in Hotel California were just thrown in by the band members straight on top of each other as they were being written down.

I don't think programming is much like that at all. It is just putting together preexisting pieces. More like Stock, Aitken and Waterman compositions. ;)

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
I tried being creative with programming but it wouldn't compile. When I got it to compile I had run time errors. When I fixed that, I had logic errors. When I fixed all that it didn't do what was required. Left side v Right side of brain I guess.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
With music it is mainly in the beta testing with no hard rules for outcomes. I have very wide ranging tastes but I've definitely heard some that I don't think "compliled".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom