Front End Database not able to create a 'new record' on one machine (1 Viewer)

Local time
Today, 11:33
Hey all! I hope this is the correct place to ask my question sorry if its not! I've got an odd problem i'm trying to solve..... I have a fairly complicated form that is for handling Batch creation of products, adjusting stock levels and updating pricing. At the end of this process I use the command...
Code:
DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec

This works on 3 machines except one....and sadly today that's caused an issue with moving stock around :(. Nothing that cant be rolled back i've made manual backups (i'll ask here in a separate thread if theres a way for me to code in a backup back end code somehow later)...Is there anything on a single machine that would stop the front end creating a new record? everyones on the same front end but this one just seemingly refuses to do it I just get a popup saying "can not create a new record at this time"... Its making for some really wacky data changes :(.

Thanks all! Back end is hosted on a machine in its own room, everyone has the same version of the front end. Running from a desktop icon. :) Thanks everyone!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:33
...everyones on the same front end... Running from a desktop icon.
Hi. Does that mean your database is not properly split? That is, a separate front end and back end and each user has their own copy of the front end on their local machine? Just curious...

Local time
Hi. Does that mean your database is not properly split? That is, a separate front end and back end and each user has their own copy of the front end on their local machine? Just curious...
Ooops sorry everyone has their OWN front end (though its the same file its unique on each machine but the same version of that if it makes sense) and the backend is the same. Its hosted on a PC in the building that I mapped a drive to and then linked the tables BEFORE distributing it. Seems to work just fine there is only 4 of us. Works fine for 3 machines but 1 doesn't like making new records :( Only tried the one form so far though which is a pain because its what he's trying to use at the minute but it wont let him create a new record unless we close the form and re open it.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:33
Ooops sorry everyone has their OWN front end (though its the same file its unique on each machine but the same version of that if it makes sense) and the backend is the same. Its hosted on a PC in the building that I mapped a drive to and then linked the tables BEFORE distributing it. Seems to work just fine there is only 4 of us. Works fine for 3 machines but 1 doesn't like making new records :( Only tried the one form so far though which is a pain because its what he's trying to use at the minute but it wont let him create a new record unless we close the form and re open it.
Hi. Thanks for the clarification. Not sure there's any way to figure it out without seeing it. Sorry.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:33
First thing I would check is to visit two machines and perform the same exact experiments as listed below. One machine could be yours but it might be better if it was one of the users who has no problems. The other machine should be the one that has this problem.

Before performing this test, verify which username is being used to activate the session. (I.e. login name.) This looks daunting but in fact takes about two minutes per machine to be meticulously careful to the point of being a nit-picker.

1. On each machine, navigate to the folder that is your back-end location using standard Windows Explorer to do so.
2. RIGHT-click on the back-end file.
3. Select Properties from the drop-down menu
4. Select Security from the tabs across the top.
5. Center (and slightly to the right) select Advanced
6. Select "Effective Permissions" from the tabs across the middle.
7. In the middle of that box, you get an option to select a user. Enter the username you determined earlier.
8. Take notes
9. Just "cancel" your way out of that layered mess of boxes.
10. When you have done both, compare notes to see if the two users have different permissions.

IF it is permissions, come back and ask how to fix that.

Local time
First thing I would check is to visit two machines and perform the same exact experiments as listed below. One machine could be yours but it might be better if it was one of the users who has no problems. The other machine should be the one that has this problem.

Before performing this test, verify which username is being used to activate the session. (I.e. login name.) This looks daunting but in fact takes about two minutes per machine to be meticulously careful to the point of being a nit-picker.

1. On each machine, navigate to the folder that is your back-end location using standard Windows Explorer to do so.
2. RIGHT-click on the back-end file.
3. Select Properties from the drop-down menu
4. Select Security from the tabs across the top.
5. Center (and slightly to the right) select Advanced
6. Select "Effective Permissions" from the tabs across the middle.
7. In the middle of that box, you get an option to select a user. Enter the username you determined earlier.
8. Take notes
9. Just "cancel" your way out of that layered mess of boxes.
10. When you have done both, compare notes to see if the two users have different permissions.

IF it is permissions, come back and ask how to fix that.
Fantastic thanks i'll look at doing this ASAP this morning thankyou! Will come back shortly

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom