Front end of 2007 database on a Tablet (1 Viewer)

rowzone

Local time
Today, 01:21
Hi
I am a self taught access designer and have been designing databases for a number of years now as a sideline, but I am new to this forum. I am currently running 2007, but does it has the functionality to create Web Forms or is this just 2010. I currently run quite a complicated database with a lot of forms/subforms and more nested subforms with linked tables into a back end database for my own company. As an outdoor activity company I am looking for this to be accessible from a tablet when outside, but want to know which would be the best option, getting a windows version that would be able to run the MS Access front end with sharepoint lists, or to get a good Android tablet and create a web version of the front end?

Any advice much appreciated.
Rowena :)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:21
How much time and money do you want to spend? Access REQUIRES SharePoint if you want to create a web app. More importantly, if you have an existing app, there is no way to convert it. You must start from scratch to create a completely new application and you cannot use VBA at all. Everything MUST be done with macros so make sure that you can replicate the functionality you need with the macros before you embark on this course. You will of course be able to convert the data.

The simplest solution to web conectivity is to use something like PCAnywhere/Terminal Services/Citrix to remotely access your desktop from a web browser. That way as long as those products have versions that can run on Android or Mac OS, you are good to go.

PS. You can create an Access app with SharePoint lists in A2007 but it is still a client/server app and will require access and windows to run. A2010 is also limited but if you are going to invest the time and money, I suggest using A2013. The technology is better and it allows you to keep your data in SQL Server which is a real database rather than Sharepoint which is not.

foxtrot1981

Local time
Today, 03:21
Hi Rowzone, please let me know your solution. Im in the same boat and i also need to get a solution, if i get something then i will also inform you. Thanks

rowzone

Local time
Today, 01:21
Thank you for previous suggestions and apologies for very long delay responding.
I now use Team Viewer to remotely access the database from smart phone ..did not think tablet idea was worth moving forward with .. works fine as long as I have a dataconnection

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom