Fry's electronics out of business (1 Viewer)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:52
Fry's was one of the first big box computer stores to open in Southern California. Before Amazon and Newegg got huge, you could walk into a Fry's and spend half the day just browsing. I included some stock photos of Fry's to show just how crazy this place was.
R.I.P. Fry's

More Pictures

1614361952762.png

1614361981968.png

1614362048044.png

1614362786639.png

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:52
I didn't have one of these in my area. However, a friend of mine found one in Texas while I was there in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. He said it was pretty good. He got a 2nd hard drive for his computer there. Where I was staying, the closest tech places were a Circuit City and a Best Buy plus I got some decent stuff from an Office Max once or twice.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yeah, kind of sad. We don't (didn't) have one in northern NV, but there were stores in the city where my mom lived so I went to those a few times. Hard times for brick and mortar stores these days.

tmyers

Local time
Today, 10:52
Never been to one. But being in central Ohio, I have a Micro Center not far away. Also, the wife has stated I am not permitted in that store unsupervised :ROFLMAO:

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
I went to one many years ago. It was like a candy store for techies.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Sad, isn't it?

But it is the way things are going. Amazon is convenient but you cant talk to anyone about your unique situation and buy with the confidence that you are getting the right thing.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
We have made a focused effort to avoid Amazon. Clearly we're not changing anything, but I feel better about it on principle. Amazon needs to be destroyed.

Walmart was one thing - they're quite large and close to monopoly, but they largely stayed non political. Amazon=a whole 'nother story.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
The thing I liked about Fry's, you could get all things electronics. If you needed computer parts or soldering irons Fry's had it.

tmyers

Local time
The thing I liked about Fry's, you could get all things electronics. If you needed computer parts or soldering irons Fry's had it.
I went in to our local Micro Center with a buddy a few weeks ago. We came out with a TV, a monitor, a 3D printer, Raspberry Pi's and 12pk of Mountain Dew :ROFLMAO:

sharavines

Local time
Today, 21:52
Given how depressingly barren my local Phoenix store has been over the past couple of years, this was not unexpected. Still, this is terrible. Frys was my favorite place to tech/geek shop for over 20 years. Such a great variety of random tech things.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Given how depressingly barren my local Phoenix store has been over the past couple of years, this was not unexpected. Still, this is terrible. Frys was my favorite place to tech/geek shop for over 20 years. Such a great variety of random tech things.
Fellow Arizonan! I'm near Ray Rd and I-10

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom