Function similar to Excel VLOOKUP? (1 Viewer)

xyba

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:44
I have a table with 2 columns and in a form I have 2 textbox fields. When I input a specific value in one of the textboxes I want to automatically look up the value I've input in the first column of the table and populate the second textbox with the corresponding value in the second column of the table. e.g.

Table
A B
1 Cat
2 Dog
3 Horse

If I input "1" in the first textbox I need the text "Cat" to appear in the second textbox, similar to the Excel VLOOKUP function.

Is this possible in Access?

shiznaw

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:44
A simple Query will suffice. ComboBox with dropdown should be bound to Table. The 2nd control (TxTBox) should be bound to a query.

xyba

Registered User.
Local time
A simple Query will suffice. ComboBox with dropdown should be bound to Table. The 2nd control (TxTBox) should be bound to a query.

That's where I'm getting stuck unfortunately. Very new to Access and queries are something I'm struggling with. How do I link the query to the result textbox? Totally lost sorry.

shiznaw

Registered User.
Local time
I promise that I will get to you in under 2 hours. I'm just at work coding on a Database right now. If no one else has given an answer, I will provide you with the solution you need. ~ John Allen Shaw.

xyba

Registered User.
Local time
I promise that I will get to you in under 2 hours. I'm just at work coding on a Database right now. If no one else has given an answer, I will provide you with the solution you need. ~ John Allen Shaw.

OK, thank you

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 16:44
[FONT=&quot]The two [/FONT][FONT=&quot]hours have[/FONT][FONT=&quot] certain [/FONT][FONT=&quot]long overdue! :)
Create a form place 2 controls in it; call the first one A, (it should be unbound), call the second one B, the controlsource should be:
Code:
=DLookUp("B";"A_Table";"A=" & Nz([A];0))
[/FONT]

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 22:44
you put the code on the afterupdate event of your first textbox.

xyba

Registered User.
Local time
[FONT=&quot]The two [/FONT][FONT=&quot]hours have[/FONT][FONT=&quot] certain [/FONT][FONT=&quot]long overdue! :)
Create a form place 2 controls in it; call the first one A, (it should be unbound), call the second one B, the controlsource should be:
Code:
=DLookUp("B";"A_Table";"A=" & Nz([A];0))
[/FONT]

No problem thanks for getting back to me about this.
I keep getting an invalid syntax error when using the above. Maybe I've edited it wrongly? I've changed the code to include the names of my elements but not sure if I've done this correctly. Also, not sure what the Nz is and the final [A]. I've put:

Code:
=DLookUp("NameOfTxtBoxWithControlSource";"NameOfMyTable";"ColumnInTableWithDataToLookup=" & Nz([A];0))

arnelgp

Local time
use comma if semi colon is not working.

=dlookup("2nColumnNameInTable","tableName","1stColumnNameInTable = " & Nz([yourFirstTextBoxName], 0))

you have to supply the correct field names and control name.

xyba

Registered User.
Local time
use comma if semi colon is not working.

=dlookup("2nColumnNameInTable","tableName","1stColumnNameInTable = " & Nz([yourFirstTextBoxName], 0))

you have to supply the correct field names and control name.

Changing the semi-colon to a comma stopped the syntax error but...I now get #Error when in form view in the box I entered the code and it seems to have locked up the database now and I can't close it. Ooops!

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Try the attached database.

Attachments

• DLookupFunction.accdb
    376 KB · Views: 86

arnelgp

Local time
do it in the afterupdate event of your first textbox, ie:

private sub yourfirstTextBoxName_AfterUpdate()
Me.secondTextBox.Value = dlookup("2nColumnNameInTable","tableName","1stCol umnNameInTable = " & Nz([yourFirstTextBoxName], 0))
end sub

shiznaw

Registered User.
Local time
Changing the semi-colon to a comma stopped the syntax error but...I now get #Error when in form view in the box I entered the code and it seems to have locked up the database now and I can't close it. Ooops!

Make sure that there is nothing in the Control Source for TextBox A (the numbered textbox).

shiznaw

Registered User.
Local time
The attached is my way of doing it:
Press Alt+Fn11 to get into VBA code:

Copy and Paste the following Code:

Code:
Private Sub Text_AfterUpdate()
Dim db As DAO.Database
Dim sqlstr As String
Dim rst As DAO.Recordset

Set db = CurrentDb()

sqlstr = "SELECT [TableName].[Animal Field Name] FROM [TableName] WHERE [Table Name].[Numbr Field Name] =" & TxtboxName
Set rst = db.OpenRecordset(sqlstr, dbOpenDynaset)

Me.Text0.Value = rst(0).Value
Set rst = Nothing
End Sub

Attachments

• VBA Code SQL String.accdb
    508 KB · Views: 88

xyba

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for all the replies but I'm still struggling to get this to work so I've attached a redacted version of my actual db.

On the Update form when a value is input in DocID textbox, this value is searched in DocumentID column of DocT table and the respective document name from the second column is populated in DocTitle textbox on the Update form.

Attachments

• DMInProgress.accdb
    1 MB · Views: 72

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
.. but I'm still struggling to get this to work so I've attached a redacted version of my actual db.
Yes because you've turn it wrong + didn't use the correct control name.
And have ID's in textformat, normally ID is numberformat - then it is difficult for us.
You should also have mention the form was a Split form.

Attachments

• DMInProgress1.zip
    106.9 KB · Views: 69

xyba

Registered User.
Local time
Yes because you've turn it wrong + didn't use the correct control name.
And have ID's in textformat, normally ID is numberformat - then it is difficult for us.
You should also have mention the form was a Split form.

That works perfectly, thank you and apologies for the confusion/lack of info.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
You're welcome, good luck. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom