Generating my own AutoNumber (1 Viewer)

Pathetique

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:39
I have a table that acts as a catalogue for the company's maps (its a land surveying company). I have many years worth of maps that are in desperate need of being organized. What I'm trying to do is order the maps according to an automatically generated MapIDCode. The autonumber feature in the tables is not going to work for my needs, as you'll see below.

First, it doesn't really matter what scheme is used to order the maps. I'll enter them roughly by year, but it isn't important that they be ordered by year. What is important is that they be in order according to this new MapIDCode, so that when someone uses the database they can find the location of a map.

Second, there are 2 sizes of maps one 24"x36"(standard) and one 18"x24"(oversize) that will be in seperate piles. This is the reason the regular Access Autonumber feature will not work. I want to use one form to add to the catalogue, regardless of whether the map is standard or oversize. I would like the standard size MapIDCode to have this format "00001" so I can have a maximum of 99999 maps (a number that is conveniently high enough to never reach yet minimizes the users entry time). The oversize MapIDCode could look something like "x0001". I'm not sure if it would be easier to have the same number of characters for each code or not. I would prefer to have just one MapIDCode field in the tblMaps table(so I could search the oversize and standard maps at the same time).

Finally, I can't have any skipped numbers. I do want to have a 00001 and a x0001 code for 2 different maps. The reason for this is so I don't have sequential skips in either size. I hope this makes sense. I have a form that has all the table's fields if this helps anyone. I would really appreciate some help here. I'm sure that it's possible, I'm just not good with programming.

1000000thx,
path

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom