Go To Record Problem (1 Viewer)

123dstreet

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:26
Hi all. I have an issue I don't even know where to start. In my sales order form, there is a combo box to select each Part, currently, if a specific part is selected (after update) then I have this code; what it does is goes to the LAST recorded Serial Number in the database.
Code:
BT_Serialize:
    M = MsgBox("You are about to serialize " & Me![Qty] & " units of " & Me.Part_No & ". Do you want to proceed?", vbYesNo, "Serialization")
    If M = vbNo Then GoTo ExitThis
    If IsNull(Me![SNList]) = True Then

QMax = Me![Qty]
        For Q = 1 To QMax
        stDocName = "BTSN (Form)"
        'stLinkCriteria = "[SOrderID] =" & Forms![S-Order (Form)].[Order ID]
        DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria
       [COLOR=red] DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acLast[/COLOR]
        N = Forms![BTSN (Form)]![BT100Serial]
       [COLOR=red] DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec
[/COLOR]        N = N + 1
        stSNTextList = stSNTextList & "  " & N
        Forms![BTSN (Form)]![BT100Serial] = N
        Forms![BTSN (Form)]![Part] = Me![Part No]
        Forms![BTSN (Form)]![SOrderID] = Forms![S-Order (Form)].[Order ID]
        'Forms![BTSN (Form)]![Cus Name] = DLookup("[Cus Name]", "Customer", "[Cus ID]=[Cus ID]")
        'Add field to form here

Me![SNList] = stSNTextList
        Refresh
        Next Q
    DoCmd.Close acForm, stDocName
    GoTo ExitThis

Else
    MsgBox ("You already generated Serial Numbers for this line item")
    'Refresh
    End If

Our current product will follow the same serial numbers, 3001, 3002, 3003... etc. our new product will start at 5000, 5001, 5002... etc. Now, my problem is when the current product is selected, how do I get it to refer back to the 3000's instead of going to the last record, which is 5000... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, the new product is almost the same as the current one, so it has to remain in the same table as the current.

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 04:26
I'm not sure I fully understand what you are trying to do but it seems like you should capture the record number you want to go back to before you move off of it...

123dstreet

Registered User.
Local time
Basically the Serial Number is the PK. It is not autonumber or anything. So if (After Update) the product is "ABC" then I want to find the last record in the 3000's and then create the next sequential serial number. if the product is "JKL" then i want it to go to the LAST record which will be in the 5000's.

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 04:26
So using this logic you will only be able to have 2000 serial numbers for product 'ABC'?

123dstreet

Registered User.
Local time
Yes that is correct, but not a problem. But is there a code to get me back down to the 3000's and then use the next sequential number?

sonof27

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:26
Not sure if this would work but you could try to use a where clause within your line DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria you seem to have turned it off in your code sample.

Set the strWhere to filter just the 3000 series if "ABC" is selected or 5000 series if "JKL" is selected.

Something like this, rough and not tested.

Code:
if myComboBox = "ABC" then
  strWhere = "SerialNumber like '????3*' "   ' here I am saying the 5th caracter is a 3 you need to change to suit.
else
  strWhere = "SerialNumber like '????5*' "  ' same here Serial Number would be your serial number column name
end if

DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , strWhere

SpentGeezer

Pure Noobism
Local time
Today, 18:26
Greetings, Not sure if this will help...

You said instead of going to the last record, so I assume you want to add a new 3000 number (if the last one was 3456, then the new serial will be 3457). Or I am way off the mark.:D
Code:
dim rd_set
dim num_Serial
num_serial =0

Set Rd_Set = currentdb.openrecordset("<tablename>")
rd_set.movefirst
do until rd_set.eof

if left(str(rd_set!<FieldName>,1)) = "3" then
      if rd_set!<fieldname > num_serial then
         num_Serial = rd_set!<fieldname>
      end if
   end if

rd_set.movenext
loop

num_Serial = num_Serial + 1 'the new, latest serial number...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom