Have to reset DSL Modem frequently (1 Viewer)

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 16:34
Hi all -

Any ideas on this one? I have Verizon DSL at home. I have an Actiontec GT704WG Wireless Modem/Gateway and I have 5 computers on my network.

3 Computers on the network are on Vista Home Premium
2 are on XP Home edition

4 are on a wired connection
1 (laptop) is wireless

About every 30 -60 minutes I have to turn the modem off and then back on in order to get the Internet connection to work. We will be working and then all of a sudden we lose connectivity and can't get web pages loaded. Funny thing is, is that I can be on AWF here and if I lose connectivity I can still refresh those pages I am on with AWF and even answer questions, but if I were to try to open another window, my Google will come up as not able to connect.

My IP's are set by DHCP.

So, anyone have any ideas of something I can do to fix this? It is extremely irritating but not as irritating as trying to deal with Verizon "customer service" (and I use that term very loosely).

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:34
When you lose connection can you still ping a known website (Google for example) ?

I assume your modem retains the DSL connection (no error or flashing lights)

Is your modem security tight, SSID off, changed default password, encrypted etc. and have limited the number of connections ?

EDIT: One thing you could try is to change channel of the modem and on all the clients, you might be getting interference from something.

Last edited:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I just saw someone looking at this thread and thought I should post an update. It turns out my modem was bad (just as I had kind of suspected but their tech support kept insisting that it couldn't be). I finally had just asked how much I would owe if I canceled my service and they jumped to try to keep me. So, they sent me a new modem and since I've put it in and got it configured, I haven't had to reset for several weeks now. Amazing, eh?

They were also nice enough to give me a surprise. They credited me with a month's worth of service as well as the new modem and even a free PC PCMCIA wireless card for my laptop (although my laptop has built-in wireless so I don't need it).

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:34
Bob,

There is also a site www.dslreports.com and under tools there are speed tests to see what perofrmance you get from your DSL. Here in the UK you sometimes get a throttled (reduced) service and if service is poor it is sometimes necessary to re-boot the modem to restore the performance. It pays to wait a couple of minutes before you switch the modem, its like as toilet and needs to flush itself.

Simon

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Simon -

This wasn't a case of that though. Before I replaced the modem I would have to reset in order to get any service at all and I would have to do that about every 30-60 minutes; sometimes even earlier. But, the minute the new modem went online that completely went away. That would, in my mind, make me believe that the modem was the problem. I've gone about 3 weeks now with no reset and before I would have had 10-20 resets a day prior.

rainman89

I cant find the any key..
Local time
Yesterday, 19:34
I just saw someone looking at this thread and thought I should post an update. It turns out my modem was bad (just as I had kind of suspected but their tech support kept insisting that it couldn't be). I finally had just asked how much I would owe if I canceled my service and they jumped to try to keep me. So, they sent me a new modem and since I've put it in and got it configured, I haven't had to reset for several weeks now. Amazing, eh?

They were also nice enough to give me a surprise. They credited me with a month's worth of service as well as the new modem and even a free PC PCMCIA wireless card for my laptop (although my laptop has built-in wireless so I don't need it).

we had the same problem here at work, they INSISTED it was not their modem.... WRONG!!! i finally yelled and complained enough to where they came with a new modem, and yup you guessed it. no more resets. who woulda thunk it?:confused::confused:

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:34
Bob,

I realised that it was a faulty modem, my advice was simply to ensure you get the best performance out of your service, now that they have replaced your modem.

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom