HDMI splitter (1 in, 2 out) that actually DOES support extended desktop (not just mirror/duplicate) (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 13:58
Anyone know what product I could buy from Amazon, if such a thing even exists, that will actually take ONE hdmi port from my laptop, and make it two (splitter) so I can run 2 output hdmi cables from it to my two monitors - AND HAVE EXTENDED DISPLAY, not just a mirror/duplicate? Is this physically possible or am I asking for a cable to work magic that doesn't make logical sense?

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Anyone know what product I could buy from Amazon, if such a thing even exists, that will actually take ONE hdmi port from my laptop, and make it two (splitter) so I can run 2 output hdmi cables from it to my two monitors - AND HAVE EXTENDED DISPLAY, not just a mirror/duplicate? Is this physically possible or am I asking for a cable to work magic that doesn't make logical sense?
Check out J5. I have a J5 Create which is close to what you describe, except one output is HDMI and the other is 4K HDMI. I got it at Best Buy for around $75 (US) a couple of years ago. I actually don't use the HDMI output because I only needed the 4K HDMI output. It was all I could find at the time. I'm pretty sure they make a splitter that does what you need.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:58
it is not about what cable you buy, but how you configure your output to the second screen.
using key-combination, WinLogo+P, you can configure how to "project" the display.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:58
I don't think such devices exist because there is only one display adaptor behind the HDMI output of your computer. There HDMI display adapters that run from USB.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:58
Most laptops have a second output - another hdmi/displayport/whatever. So assuming you have one, you can buy adaptors or cables to convert from displayport/whatever to hdmi - pretty much anything from anything. You can also buy hdmi splitters, so if you have two hdmi ports and one is in use for keyboard/mouse/printer, buy a splitter so you can share the port between monitor and keyboard/mouse/printer

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
it is not about what cable you buy, but how you configure your output to the second screen.
using key-combination, WinLogo+P, you can configure how to "project" the display.
That's a good point. Here's how it is set in Win11.

1668345203146.png

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time

View attachment 104562
But doesn't windows need to know there are multiple outputs?, like HDMI, VGA, DVI ?

Putting out the display via one port, how is WIndows meant to know that has been split into multiple screens?
If the cable is not capable of informing windows in some way, plus the port also needs to be able to pass on this info, it will not work?

Just asking?

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
But doesn't windows need to know there are multiple outputs?, like HDMI, VGA, DVI ?

Putting out the display via one port, how is WIndows meant to know that has been split into multiple screens?
If the cable is not capable of informing windows in some way, plus the port also needs to be able to pass on this info, it will not work?

Just asking?
Beyond my level of knowledge.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Thank you everyone for your comments, george, I have contacted the J5 folks to see what's the cheapest product they have that can do that if necessary.

Arnel, it's not a matter of the display settings I already know how to choose extend over duplicate but a normal HDMI splitter will not magically create two displays it will only be available to duplicate the display. For example if you go to Amazon and look at 99% of all the HDMI splitters there will be a little bit of text in the product description that reminds you that this does not extend the display it only creates a (2) duplicates.

I have a cheap new laptop that only has one display output that I know of and it's hdmi. I will test with one of the USB ports and see if they output or have a display adapter behind them but I kind of doubt it because the USB C Port definitely does not.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time

View attachment 104562
That's fine but first there has to actually exist a third monitor. Most HDMI splitters are sold with the disclaimer that they do not create an additional monitor they only duplicate it that 'extend' option will not be available

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
As mentioned if you have an standard USB port, you could use one of these?

However, does that work alongside the existing display output, or override it?

The good thing, is Amazon is good on refunds if it does not work.

Edit: Apparently it does not?

@Isaac check this out?

amorosik

Local time
Today, 22:58

Other magic-key like WinLogo+P ?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Thanks all, I found a basically same product as the j5 create, open box best buy online $42.

Works amazing!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom