HELP!!! Decipher front end with Access backend (1 Viewer)

DB_NOVICE23

Local time
Today, 10:50
We have loads of access databases, that when launched (32bit) are all controlled by a front end type software with a register key etc. These have been knocking around for 8 years and the company who designed it is no longer supporting it - we need some help with anyone who can 'break' the front end so we can get some one in to help redesign it - please contact me for some more Q's if needed.

Cheers

Paul

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:50
Welcome aboard. I'm guessing we'll be seeing more of you as you take this journey.

Do you actually need to break the FE? Isn't it just a menu to the other files?. Can you open the other files without the official "fe"?

If the company isn't supporting the app any more, ask for source code, so you can support the app yourself. Offer to sign an agreement to not sell copies of the app yourself. Don't give away your right to reproduce it though. You might have to pay for the source code but it should save development money in the long run.

Failing that, ask for a letter on company stationary giving you permission to "break" the app yourself. There are companies who will do this for you but you have to prove you either own the database or have permission to "break" it.

At a minimum, you MUST have access to the BE databases and that should be free since the data is yours.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:50
Hi Paul. Welcome to AWF!

Is the FE an ACCDE file?

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 02:50
We have loads of access databases, that when launched (32bit) are all controlled by a front end type software with a register key etc. These have been knocking around for 8 years and the company who designed it is no longer supporting it - we need some help with anyone who can 'break' the front end so we can get some one in to help redesign it - please contact me for some more Q's if needed.

Cheers

Paul
I think theDBGuy is on the right trail. You probably have accdE files, not accdB files. The only way to recover the accdb is to use a copy of the accdb that was used to create the accde files. Well, there may be other things you can do (which will cost money and require an organization specializing in that service) but you can't just decrypt an accdE. That's why they were created.

DB_NOVICE23

Local time
its a .mbd file - the company either went bust, or went separate ways, so there is no way we can get in touch - but there must be some way of getting in and disabling the register part?

register.png

menu.png

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 05:50
If it is an .mdb you do not need to "break into it." More like entering an unlocked house. So I have same question as @cheekybuddha.

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
I guess there may be ULS with an .mdb

Is there a corresponding .mdw file as well?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:50
There may be ULS but don't the newer versions of Access just ignore that? In any case, you could try to create a new workgroup file.

IF you do what I'm about to suggest, be sure to copy the workgroup file you have now. Typically, these .MDW files are lists of users and things they are allowed to do. If the files were set up for maximum security (somewhat of an oxymoron for MDAC-level permissions), they would not allow SYSTEM to have access. However, if you could edit a COPY of the .MDW with Notepad, you might see the names that would be allowed to access these files and check for one that appears across multiple .MDW files from the same vendor. Then create an account on your computer to match that name.

That's as far as I can take you because I haven't worked with .MDW files in more years than I care to remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom