Help modifying existing database (1 Viewer)

Ms Kathy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:20
Hi all. I thought I had this problem resolved from previous posts, but as it turned out when I started adding data I found it didn't work. So, I went to an existing database template and modified it for our use. However, there are two things I can't do and I'm guessing it's in the structure. I've searched this forum, clicked on the links, and can't seem to find what I need. I will now try to formulate the questions.

I want to be able to add a weight to multiple transactions (from the Container List). There would be one customer on a specific date picking up many containers. There should be one weight for the combined total of the containers. The containers themselves do not relate to the weight. It would vary by load. The customer tells us what the weight is after he takes all the containers to a truck weighing facility and has his truck weighed.

The second thing I need to do is to print out a "bill of lading" of sorts that would include everything on the transaction (customer info, check out date, container(s), container condition, that kind of thing).

I do not know where to begin.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Copy of NonEdibleFoodWaste_04.09.14.accdb
    1.4 MB · Views: 77

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:20
not sure - you probably need a lading table, and a lading detail table, or something like that - whatever names are appropriate

the lading table will be a record of the clients movement. the lading detail table will be a linked junction table that links the lading header, to the various containers that form the shipment

so this will be

lading table (ladingID (PK), clientid, date, any other details to identify the movement - including the total weight if necessary)
this needs a bit of thought, as potentially a client could have more than 1 collection in a day.

lading details (ladingdetailsID (PK), ladingID (FK to lading table) , containerID (FK to your container table)

so you either get the total weight by summing the weight of the containers linked to be the lading details - or alternative, if the figure is completely separate store them in the lading table, as indicated above.

Hope this makes sense (esp the PK/FK orrespondence), and matches what you do!

Ms Kathy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:20
I thank you kindly for your response gemma, but I must ponder this whole project. I feel as though while I may not be entirely in over my head, the water is up to my neck :) I will try to use the information you provided. Thank you.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:20
If more than one collection a day, presumably there would be shipping (or whatever) document number to identify the load. Or use time of collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom