HELP - this is making me CRAZY! (1 Viewer)

sparklegrrl

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:04
I am so new to Access and learning so much but this one VERY SIMPLE little thing is making me nuts!

I have a table WORKORDERS set up in my database. For example it has:

WORKORDERS
WORKORDERID (primary key)
CUSTOMERID
PURCHASEORDERNO
CARINITIALID
CARNUMBER

Some of these values (IE: CUSTOMERID, CARINITIALID) pull from other tables such as

CARINITIALS
CARINITIALID (primarykey)
CAR INITIAL

I have the WORK ORDERS table set up so that it stores the Customer ID and the Car Initial ID as their PK# as opposed to the value. I was told to set it up that way as part of normalization.

The problem is that if I go to create a form for example SHIPPING
and I create a drop down box with the work orders listed and tell it to select a record on the form based on the value in the box the value displays as the primary key instead of the data.

For example....

Work order: 1
Car Initial: 3
Car Number: 123456

Instead of

Work Order: 1
Car Initial: GATX
Car Number: 123456

I know this is probally a simple setting in the car initial field on the form but I can't figure it out and it's making me nuts.

Do I have to create a query for this so it will display properly? I can't I just pull the data from the table & tell it to display as the text as opposed to the primary key number?

keith_pyrasoft

bit by bit . . .
Local time
I would always take the step of creating a query for the combo to work on. This gives more flexibility and may well do the trick...

hth

sparklegrrl

Registered User.
Local time
Okay
*sigh*

Thanks!

Queries are the backbone of this thing aren't they?

AncientOne

Senior Citizen
Local time
I seem to recall discussing this with you previously?

You set the column width of the key field to zero. Then the key is used to retrieve the record, but the text field is displayed in the combo.

sparklegrrl

Registered User.
Local time
YUP - got that, I was trying to do it without using a query. I do have another simple question though.

Our company name is H.C. Chandler & Son, Inc. and I can't get the & sign to come up in a text field or forms, etc.

Is there a way to get it to display?

Tay

likes garlic
Local time
You need to type &&, not just &. That should do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom