Help Wanted? (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 10:09
I'm going to be dating myself, but back in 1965 the cost of a McDonald's hamburger was $0.15. Also as added context, I was able to fully pay for college and buy a car while working as a cashier at a 7-11 equivalent, for around $1.25 per hour. Consequently, over the years, I have seen what damage the incessant hyperbolic demands to perpetually increase the minimum wage has caused. College age kids today, seemingly can no longer afford to pay for college and cars (in part caused by cheap student loans allowing tuition to rise).

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 07:09
Good point....1st world's readily available credit, you can even go in debt to buy a gallon of milk, is a two edged sword. I see some countries where they hurt bad b/c they can't have anything in life that they can't pay for in cash, kind of harsh....but then, we're at the other extreme, probably not great either.

I wonder, too, if people have come to just expect too much from colleges. My daughter went to ASU for a couple years. They have EVERYTHING. To set up your schedule there is a dedicated team of advisors 24/7. There is a special app, that probably took 6 months and 10 programmers salary to make, just to run scenarios on different schedules - it's really amazing. There is a special app to help you figure out an open parking space on your way in. There is a security app with a panic button. There is a 800 #, staffed literally 24 hours a day, where you can ask any question of any kind and get pretty substantial help - and it doesn't appear to be off shored either. There is extensive counseling services, all free, should you experience any type of offense during the day! There are apps upon apps upon apps, free shuttles that run every 10 minutes for 18 hours/day in between all Metro campuses--all free. There isn't just a Journalism major, there are 28 varieties of it, each with a dedicated team, advisor, school, president, and probably section of the building. Trans BIPOC Guatemalan Journalism, Historic Documentary Dolphin Climate Change journalism, I mean........You get the gist. It's....insane.

All of these expectations people have of colleges comes with a cost. But I'm sure you're right as well......people charge what the market will bear, and with readily available credit, it's easier to bear higher prices, so....

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
You brought up an aspect that I neglected. Administrative bloat. (Parkinson's Law).
As a personal observation, one of my daughters went to the NC University at Greensboro, NC a few years ago. I noted a lot of apparent "urban renewal" construction. She pointed out that it was the University buying property for ??. She conveniently dropped the political line that it was a "low income" neighborhood that was being demolished. Very ironic. Anyway, I was quizzical about why the University needed to expand considering the growing use of the internet for teaching. The thought passed, so I never did investigate the why. But the quick superficial unsubstantiated explanation is that the University probably received a (pork barrel) construction grant for some razzle-dazzle project.

Last edited:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
The report notes: "...the Texas Public Policy Foundation, claim that in 19 states the benefits are equivalent to a $100,000 income for a family of four with two unemployed parents." (emphasis added) How valid, not known? Plausible considering on the fact that the stimulus payments are evidently tax-free and the total implied "income" includes government subsidies such as food stamps, child care, medical care, etc. The graph below demonstrates that the jobs are out there, should those wanting to work apply for them. Additionally note that the Biden administration assumed control of the government in January 2021. The economy was already improving before January 2021, so it is not surprising that the number of job openings is increasing, but what is surprising is that the jobs are apparently not being filled. If the jobs were being filled, the graph would be close to flat-lining. Moreover, note that "The labor force participation rate in the US edged down to 61.6 percent in May 2021 ..." If people where returning to work that number would be increasing. These results support the theory that it is more profitable for a person to stay home and receive unemployment instead of working.
1623763439270.png

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 07:09
Take CA unemployment. Last I checked (couple years), it was ~450/week.
450/week x 52 = 23,400
450/week + liberal 300 = 750/week = 39,900

39,900 x 2 (2 parents) = 78,000

Throw in the huge monthly child tax credits (which I don't know much about as none of my kids are <17), but I remember seeing some pretty sizeable numbers thrown around.........and he might be right, or VERY close to it.

By the way, I didn't calculate taxes because they are eliminating tax liability for unemployment payments too - another liberal freebie.

Oh wait! - That might be the thing that DOES get it to 100,000. Taxes = 22% for incomes over $40,525. 78000*.22 = 17,150.
Add the two and it's worth a normal income of 95,160

Holy [A word I won't say on AWF] - Pure welfare is worth close to $100k! NOW I understand why nobody's choosing to work.
Or, as Galax. told me recently, "I'm vilifying the unemployed". Well, not necessarily villains, but they can sure use a calculator!

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Another point as to why some people may not have returned to work. Why work If you don't have to pay rent?

Now that this supposed temporary benefit has expired, predictably some of the left leaning Democratic Congress people are demanding that this program be extended claiming that people will be evicted from their homes. What they fail to mention (actually refuse to consider) is that these renters/homeowners had an obligation to pay their rent/mortgage payments. Also, they fail to consider that landlords themselves are dependent on rental income. It is not "right" for renters to live "free" in a house or apartment thereby causing the landlord or mortgage holder to have financial stress.

In conclusion, this portends that the Democrats will attempt to extend stimulus checks and unemployment benefits as their respective authorizations expire. Looks like the flow of "free" money may continue unabated even though the economy is strong and screaming for more workers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom