Help with DELETE query 4 unmatched records in 2 tables (1 Viewer)

mkdrep

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:28
Please see attached (jpg's). One shows the query code which when run displays the records in table [1Dodge Download Note T] that do NOT have a matching record in table [specjobs].

I assumed I could just convert this query to a DELETE query and it would DELETE the records that were pulled up from table [1Dodge Download Note T].

However, when that happens I get the error msg I have attached.

Can someone help me solve this problem? Thanks!

Mark

Attachments

• qry_DELETE_Unmatched_Code.jpg
    qry_DELETE_Unmatched_Code.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 160
  • Error_Msg_qry_DELETE_Unmatched.jpg
    Error_Msg_qry_DELETE_Unmatched.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 140
  • tables_in_Unmatched_qry.jpg
    tables_in_Unmatched_qry.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 139

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:28
do you want to delete records from [1Dodge Download Notes T] table?
BACKUP your table before doing delete query, just to make sure.

DELETE FROM [1Dodge Download Notes T] LEFT JOIN [specjobs] ON [[1Dodge Download Notes T].DNJTNo = [specjobs].JobTrackNo WHERE [specjobs].JobTrackNo Is Null;

mkdrep

Registered User.
Local time
do you want to delete records from [1Dodge Download Notes T] table?
BACKUP your table before doing delete query, just to make sure.

DELETE FROM [1Dodge Download Notes T] LEFT JOIN [specjobs] ON [[1Dodge Download Notes T].DNJTNo = [specjobs].JobTrackNo WHERE [specjobs].JobTrackNo Is Null;

Thank you for your suggestion.

YES, I do want to delete any record from [1Dodge Download Notes T] that does not have a matching record in [specjobs]

I inserted your above code and still got the same error msg: "Specify the table containing the records you want to delete". Any other suggestions? :)

Also, when I initially ran the code you gave me, a "syntax error in JOIN operation" msg popped up. Turns out this issue was with [[1Dodge...had one too many "[" brackets! Oops........ :) Once I removed the extra "[" that msg disappeared..... and was replaced by "Specify the table containing the records you want to delete".

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:28
Because when you have a join in the DELETE sql you need to specify the table.
What you need to do is this :
DELETE [1Dodge Download Notes T] FROM [1Dodge Download Notes T] LEFT JOIN [specjobs] ON [1Dodge Download Notes T].DNJTNo = [specjobs].JobTrackNo WHERE [specjobs].JobTrackNo Is Null;

If that still doesn't work, you would need to check only with exists in.

mkdrep

Registered User.
Local time
Because when you have a join in the DELETE sql you need to specify the table.
What you need to do is this :
DELETE [1Dodge Download Notes T] FROM [1Dodge Download Notes T] LEFT JOIN [specjobs] ON [1Dodge Download Notes T].DNJTNo = [specjobs].JobTrackNo WHERE [specjobs].JobTrackNo Is Null;

If that still doesn't work, you would need to check only with exists in.

I still get the same error msg :"Specify the table containing the records you want to delete".
Forgive my ignorance but I do not understand your second suggestion: "If that still doesn't work, you would need to check only with exists in". Could you expand on that further? Thank you.

mkdrep

Registered User.
Local time
Just as a follow up: I modified the Code to read:
DELETE [1Dodge Download Notes T].*
FROM [1Dodge Download Notes T] LEFT JOIN specjobs ON [1Dodge Download Notes T].DNJTNo=specjobs.JobTrackNo
WHERE [specjobs].JobTrackNo Is Null;

Once I added ".* " after DELETE [1Dodge Download Notes T] the query worked as I wanted it to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom