Help with drop down/List Box (1 Viewer)

Indi123

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:17
Hi All I have two tables access DB Table one – Patients’ bio data Table two – Referral Data Referral table collects data such as – date of referral, time, Reason/s for referral etc I created One to many relationship – as same pt can get referred many times over months and years. Based on this, I created a Registration form with Referral details form as the Sub form. For the reasons for referral field – I created look up/List box. This box contains reasons, such as Anxiety, Depression, Dementia … etc I put about 20 of most common reasons. At the point of registration – Admin team put patient’s personal details in the main form and in the sub form under Reasons for referral, user select A reason or reasons by ticking the box. My Problem: At the point of putting Referral date, Time.. etc The Referral Reason field get Automatically update it self (without the user selecting any options) . And the Automatic update happened with any random reason (computer select a random reason) I checked whether I have put any Default values – and the answer is NO Then on table level – I deactivated Must complete option from Yes to NO – still no change Its like a ghost ticking a random reason for referral before the user get even near to the field Any advise ??? Thanks

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:17
Sounds like it's pulling previous reason Patient was referred. What's the Record Source of the Form?

Indi123

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for your reply
Just to keep you in picture, I am only a clinician who is pretending to be DB designer, so when you asked me about Source etc … it is bit of a strange language. However, I assumed you asked me, how does “Referral reasons” link to the table ??
Out of the two tables, one is called Referral Table, in that there is a Field called “Referral Reasons” – it has Look up box with 15+ Look up items, so when the user select a reason/s – at the point of Save it goes to the table.
I also checked whether it is coming from the previous records and the answer is No
On the Property sheet:
Control Source: Reasons For Referral
Row Source: “Depression”;”Agitaion”;”Dementia”;….etc
Row Source type: Value List
Bound Column: 1

Hope these mean something to you the experts out there
Thanks

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Hmm, nope not what I mean. Do you have a file that has no personal information you can upload? I think there might be a bigger issue... your tables. I beleive you are going to need more than two.

Indi123

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Ginawhipp, thanks so much
Now you know the depth of my access knowledge – lol
In fact I originally had 4 tables
(1) Patient info (2) Referral Info (3) Assessment info (4) Discharge info
Then I put this idea to this forum and the advised was – too many tables cut it down two
So I kept Pt info and everything I had under Assessment and discharge shifted to Referral table
The idea was Mr Smith (pt info) get referred to the clinic (Referral Info) Then he get assessed (assessment related info) Then he get discharged (discharge info)
Each pt had many referrals ... but each referral had one related assessment and one related discharge
However my problem was when I created a new referral I wanted that – Referral ID (auto number) to automatically go to Assessment table as well as Discharge table as their Primary number.
For eg – if Referral ID was 01 then I wanted this to go to Assessment as 01, and same number to Discharge table as 01. So that way Referral table knew it has related assessment and Assessment table knew it has related discharge.
Unfortunately my knowledge was not good enough to automatically replicate Referral ID into other two tables, so I went for two tables, instead of 4 tables.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
The four tables sounds closer to what you need and carrying the ID was the right way to go and can be done. So, do you still have a copy with the four tables you can upload? I have to run out in a bit but I can review later today.

Indi123

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Gina,

Thanks so much for your support and the offer. I discarded my original Four table idea and moved on with Two table Db.

I promised my admin guys that I was going to give them an easier tool to collected data and that was three months ago so can’t delay my promise lol (I had very limited time do something that I have never done and do my real Day Job at the same time)

I 50/% over came the “Ghost selection” by getting the Registration form to load as Blank form - so when we add new patient computer did not select a random Reason for Referral. However, when we add a new referral to an existing patient – same old “Ghost selection” (this means computer selecting some thing from the drop down list before the user does) happens

At present the biggest help I need is:

I have a filed name Diagnosis: (text filed) in the Referral Table.
In that we write, Eg Alcohol related Dementia, frontal Lb Dementia or Mixed Dementia

So, there could be some texts Before the word Dementia..as well as after dementia

The need is: if the word “Dementia” is in the Diagnosis filed – I want to Display a Butterfly on the form

Only one picture, I don’t want pictures for other diagnoses
I want to keep the picture in the table not in the C drive

Is this possible

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
It is pulling the Reason from one of the previous records. It's the way you have the tables set up and probably the way you have them joined. There is a query that is loading with the Form I need to see that. If you go into Design View of the Form and look in the Properties window you will see on the All tab at the top it says Record Source, that is what I need.

Image? I thought you had a thread regarding this. Was there any code in that thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom