Help with final distribution (1 Viewer)

martlewis

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:42
Hi

I'm ready to look at distributing my database to a couple of people but need pointing in the right direction with regard to setting the database up so user can only enter data via a form.

How do I stop user having visibility of my tables and put the database into a distributable package?

Thanks.

PaulO

Registered User.
Local time
The correct answer will depend on which VERSION of Access you are using ...

... but it is possible to:-

1) Hide the database window (and therefore protect the objects)
2) Distribute a Runtime version of the front end file to users (I'm assuming you've split the database)

Please bear in mind that if you hide the database window and all objects then you MUST have a fully menu-driven application.

martlewis

Registered User.
Local time
Hi,

i'm using Access 2010. The last time I used Access was the first version ever released so I've got a lot of learning to do.

If I hide the datbase window is it easy to show it again? This is a very simplistic database as far as the user is concerned... All they see is a single form to create a new record. Once created they move to the next new record. No requirements yet to move back and forth for various reasons. All reporting is done by me once they upload the database nightly.

What do you mean by split the database?

Cheers

PaulO

Registered User.
Local time
I'm mainly a 2003 and 2007 user ... I would use the in-built help in 2010 to find exactly where you it is you turn off the database window.

Splitting your database (look for Database Utilities) partitions the database between data tables and everything else and is a very useful way of providing further protection of the data tables and allowing you to make and distribute object changes.

Again there are countless discussion threads on this forum explaining the why's and wherefore's of a database.

martlewis

Registered User.
Local time
My mistake, the database is already split and using linked tables.

I just need to work out how to hide the database window and create an executable front end. Hope it's not the case that Access 2010 will need to be installed on each machine.

PaulO

Registered User.
Local time
I've found this on the 'Net:-

Startup options

Startup settings let you personalize the database a bit. You can add a title and icon to the title bar, specify an opening form, hide the Database window, and more. The options are available from the Startup command on the Tools menu.

To access these settings, click the File tab, and choose Options. Click Current Database, and you’ll find the settings in the Application Options section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom