Herouxville (1 Viewer)

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 03:21
i dont know how international the story of this town in quebec canada has spread but it is causing a fuss around here... here is a quote of the white paper in english that the town has adopted for bylaws to inform anyone who decides to settle there...

So that the future residents can integrate socially more easily, we have decided unanimously, to make public, certain standards already in place and very well anchored in the lives of our electors.
These standards come from our municipal laws being Federal or Provincial, and all voted democratically. They also come from the social life and habits & customs of all residents of our territory.

the entire 5 pager is on a pdf on their site at

http://municipalite.herouxville.qc.ca/Standards.pdf

...just wondering how many people find this offensive or democratic...
...or maybe i am just stirring up the pot...

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 03:21
Makes me curious what problems it was written to address. You don't take the time to write this stuff down unless you feel that certain people who "moved to the territory" have violated some of the ideals.
I find it more quaint than offensive. Seems a sort of "small town" perspective. And the English translation is a little stiff.
What kind of fuss is it causing in Ontario?

statsman

Local time
Today, 06:21
So far...NONE
Rural Quebec has always been an uptight place a long way behind the times. They obviously don't wish to go to the trouble or expense that might incurred by multi-culturalism.
What suprizes me is that it was actually translated into English.

Adeptus

What's this button do?
Local time
Today, 19:51
From what I've heard about it, it is intended to keep out the people that, in other parts of the world (and maybe Canada too, don't know) insist on being treated differently or having the wider community change to suit them - eg demanding Sharia law, banning christmas decorations, etc.

Our government have publically said that the only law recognized here is Australian law, and if you want to live by Sharia law perhaps you should go live in a country that does so.
There is, however, some recognition of Aboriginal tribal law, and there have been cases where the judge has given a lesser sentence to someone if the tribal elders have already punished them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom